cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call me crazy...

RattyUK
Trustee
Not literally (before you all do 🙂 )!
I sent my Rift S back for refund as it just wouldn't 'play nice'  - flashes, wouldn't start up without multiple restarts of the software or reboots of the PC.  Positively, the sound was great and apart from the rabbit right controller issue (I ended up with 24!) no other controller issues.

Reading here of the latest software update I bravely went out and bought another this morning.  This was a May build.
No problems installing (allowing a restart after firmware updates) go through the tutorial again then off to play.
A mess around in home, pick up all the Gift Packs, same odd behaviour if you grab the boxes too quickly, but otherwise pretty good.  Fire up Fallout 4, play for an hour before taking HMD off as it is a bit warm here today...

No flashes, perfectly behaved controllers, good fun had by me.
Now, the odd bit - I may be kidding myself but clarity seems much better than the first S, brighter colours, good blacks, sound is fine.

I'm impressed, shame I'll have to wait for indoors to cool down a little to bury myself in Elite: Dangerous again 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
40 REPLIES 40

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I thought it was the red 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Haven't played ED for ages, it's been updated to have more content for beginners hasn't it? maybe time for another go.

It seemed like a bit of a menu fest when I played... once you get used to face to face interactions with characters in Fallout, reading so many menus when you deal with people kills the immersion a little bit. I think there were enough menus for upgrades and navigation etc already.

RattyUK
Trustee

Techy111 said:

I thought it was the red 😉

That's rose and for gurls...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RattyUK
Trustee
@DaftnDirect  - E: D is still pretty much the game it was, a new system was introduced to protect new players from the 'keen' player killers - they got round that by starting 'new' accounts 🙂
That said, with a little imagination and time there is plenty to do in-game, and a big update next year may add some storyline to the game.  The toughest bit is the learning curve for controls really, and understanding that there is no spoon...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a flash last night. I am now typing this post from the Tottenham High Road police station and I'm in court tomorrow morning.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Open at own risk, pic of @snowdog flashing.

z62cgfb4gpw3.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's actually A LOT bigger than mine! 😮

RattyUK
Trustee
Update a bit...
Playing Talos Principle for waaayyy to long yesterday, about 3 hours & only 3 flashes, 2 within a couple of minutes of each other, the other about an hour later.

So still some flashes, but not to the extent of E: D  -  very odd.

I had very similar variations in Fallout yesterday, 2 flashes within 1 minute in fact... then about an hour before the next one.

I'm increasingly convinced it's the random nature rather than which game is being played or any external influences but it's just my opinion of course!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How would you describe these flashes? Are they like switching an old television to a channel that has nothing on it? Like a fuzzy screen that you got in the old days of television?