cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Port to HDMI adapter - why should I need to buy adapters! WHERE IS THE HDMI connector

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
Oculus wanted to make the Rift S easier to setup for users yet they fail to provide a way to to make the most basic of connections. My Asus laptop only has an HDMI output, meaning that I cannot connect my Rift S without need an adapter. They include a Display Port to Mini DP adapter, but nothing for users that NEED to connect to HDMI. This is not making the user experience better. I cannot believe that such a basic requirement has not been thought through and provided for.

I went though all this setup nonsense with the original Rift (USB ports not good enough, plus needing DP adapters for my desktop). Now it starts all over again...
Very, very disappointing that straight out of the box I'm sat here needing adapters and unable to use it. GRRRRR
26 REPLIES 26

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
Okay - the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter do not work. 'Thunderbolt 3' might work apparently if you're lucky enough to have one - see the excellent information below if you're having the same issue.

I can't stress enough how bad this is - there are lots of people out there who have purchased "VR Ready" laptops in the last year or two, only to have the rug pulled from under them. I have a £2000 Asus Rog that I bought for VR within the last 12 months that is now effectively out of date :# I'm so upset with Oculus, they have just undermined the very people that have invested and supported VR. I understand that for the technology to move forward it has to change, but you would expect it to do so in a way that includes, rather than excludes - at a pace that does not burn everyone. This is especially so when as I have already pointed out - their mission statement was to make VR more accessible! Okay, rant over...

donnyjoe
Protege
I'm glad they switched to DP. My GPU only has one HDMI output and it was getting annoying always swapping it between my TV and RIft. Now I can use another one of those 3 DP outputs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think most if not all VR headset developers have switched or are switching to Display Port for the headset.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

Okay - the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter do not work. 'Thunderbolt 3' might work apparently if you're lucky enough to have one - see the excellent information below if you're having the same issue.

I can't stress enough how bad this is - there are lots of people out there who have purchased "VR Ready" laptops in the last year or two, only to have the rug pulled from under them. I have a £2000 Asus Rog that I bought for VR within the last 12 months that is now effectively out of date :# I'm so upset with Oculus, they have just undermined the very people that have invested and supported VR. I understand that for the technology to move forward it has to change, but you would expect it to do so in a way that includes, rather than excludes - at a pace that does not burn everyone. This is especially so when as I have already pointed out - their mission statement was to make VR more accessible! Okay, rant over...

Can't you use the converter they send with the Rift S?
My two last laptops, going back 5 years, (Rog) works with that converter.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
rVRcloset said:
Can't you use the converter they send with the Rift S?
My two last laptops, going back 5 years, (Rog) works with that converter.
Sadly not, that's the whole problem right there as It only has HDMI, no mini DP (so the adapter is no use to me).
It does have a thunderbolt 3 - this is my next attempt (waiting for yet another adapter) but I don't hold much hope with this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used my HMDI>DP for my Monitor instead when using CV1 and did same again with RIFT S until I just removed it then used both into DP. It was the 4*2k type and it made no difference at all to performance. It does save your GPU Pins though if moving it about e.g. between headsets.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

donnyjoe said:

I'm glad they switched to DP. My GPU only has one HDMI output and it was getting annoying always swapping it between my TV and RIft. Now I can use another one of those 3 DP outputs.

Display port / HDMI adapters work fine for TV's. I have a 4K TV plugged in using an active adapter designed for 4k @ 60fps. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
Okay, the 'Thunderbolt 3' connection works in case anyone else needs it.

I bought the following adapter for £13, which works a treat.

diosfede
Honored Guest

I happened the same, buy the S oculus while I was traveling, not knowing that they are not compatible with HDMI 2.0. Buy an HDMI 2.0 converter to DP 1.2, 4k. I get it to send a resolution of 2560 x 1440 80 Hz, but I only get sound, without an image. I contacted with Oculus and his response was to buy another CPU. I have a Sansung Odyssey from less than 1 year ago that exceeds the recommended benefits. I think that Oculus should warn that it has no compatibility with the most used connector (HDMI 2.0). Which is more powerful than DP 1.2 and quite similar to 1.4. I do not have to know those things, I dedicate myself to buying what until recently I thought was a reliable company.

Norway74
Honored Guest
So is the “thunderbolt 3” the best way to solve this ? I’m in the exact same position a HP Pavillion 15, 4 months old but can’t connect ?