cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Techy111 - Yes for Sims and with a card like yours, I did mention in another thread that HP Reverb would tick all the boxes. But for people new to PC -VR and who want the whole VR experience, then I don't think you can beat Rift -S.

You just have to consider if paying $600 just to play sims is worth it in the end I guess. That's if you are a new comer without a CV1 already.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
If these old eyes can see things clearer in sims then 100 percent yes mate plus I'll do the old "sell thjngs" to pay for it 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Richooal
Consultant
They have outsourced the PCVR side of their business to Lenovo whilst their own resources were pumped into stand alone VR development.
That's okay, but it clearly demonstrates their direction.

I hope my Rift keeps working until a CV2 turns up. I'm not a collector of headsets, I can wait.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea rereading this PC world article on the HP has me excited.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3367755/hp-reverb-vr-headset-price-features-hands-on.html

We got to compare it to Samsung Odyssey+Mixed Reality headset, which features dual AMOLED screens with a resolution of 1,440x1,600 per eye (essentially the same as HTC's current Vive Pro). The difference was astounding. The Odyssey+ with Samsung's Anti-SDE screen technology is already considered one of the better headsets, so that's saying something.
"Astounding" difference really makes me lift my eyebrows as the O+ clarity is already pretty good. Plus it's a 90hz LCD. I might be sold on this HP headset if nothing big announces before it releases. They "recommend" a 1080 or 2070 so it might be doable for most games. 

brandonlunar
Explorer
I would have paid $600 just for a CV1 with a higher resolution....

KenSniper
Adventurer
It's a tough choice for me, I definitely will not be getting a Quest because I only intend to get SteamVR games. So for me the Pros are
  • Passthrough
  • Higher Res
  • Inside Out tracking
  • Easy to adjust 
According to some who has tested it, you still get full range of movement even from behind and is it apparently quite comfortable.

Te only cons for me is that I already own a fully decked out rift with 3 sensors, extension cables etc, which i feel is a big reason why many others and myself are so reserved about getting a Rift S, because we have spent a lot on the accessories and equipment. But as of now I am pretty well inclined to getting it, I just hope it is released soon so more users can get their hands on it to review.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Won't be upgrading until the games I play use nvidia single pass stereo... 

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
I wouldn't touch a Rift-S with a bargepole.

Inside out has SOME benefits, not much for tethered. Higher res? slightly... cool...

everything else? yuck. LCD, 80hz, worse blacks, faded colours, worse controller tracking, no "proper" headphones built in... there's nothing at all desirable in Rift S for savvy Rift 1 owners. No it's not Rift 2, if and when there is a rift 2 is when oculus/fb gets more of my cash, not before (that includes quest which is a no-go for me due to power... VR needs to go fast into the future not backwards into mobile level power.. even PCVR struggles right now to be compelling enough)

For me it will probably be VALVE's HMD in the future (hopefully a LOT better than Vive was). Quest/GO/RiftS are chasing after a different market now to what us VR pioneers got into this for. That they compromise on VITAL things like pure blacks and good colours shows that oculus no longer value the VR Ideal more the numbers game.

But.. I saw this coming way back the day gear VR was announced and all main emphasis was switched to that (on site), Brendan leaving and Rift 2 being canned were just the nail in the coffin (even though I also believe it's too early for a genuinely great Rift 2 so on that score I understand.. but still market emphasis is now on 'it'll do' rather than 'lets make it awesome'. VR needs that like it needs a bullet in the head)
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

DWinner9971
Protege
Rift S is an obvious compromise and not even equivalent to the current Rift experience from all they've shown. I'll wait to see what other companies have to offer and hope for Oculus to show us they haven't completely lost their minds by announcing a real upgrade with the Rift 2 soon.

pdhanneman
Protege
I'll buy both (and probably a couple more Quests) for my kids.  I'm trusting the early reviews on the S and I'm hoping for the best.  😉
i7-8700K 3.7GHz Processor | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX WHITE RGB Liquid Cooler | ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA Motherboard | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB  DDR4-3200 Memory | FireCuda 2TB 7200RPM Hybrid HD | Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD | Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM HD | WD Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 SSD | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card | Thermaltake - The Tower 900 Snow Edition Full Tower Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W Power Supply | Two Divorces | One Bad Ass Credit Card Bill