cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Sensor Support for the Rift S

Sterling77
Rising Star
Im starting this thread as other people have had issues with close contact touch controller dead zones - As oculus has mentioned support for external sensors is possible, just there has to be demand for it.  
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook
32 REPLIES 32

nickladd
Protege
I would be much more comfortable upgrading to a Rift S if I could keep using a sensor or 2 from my original Rift setup. I use Quill as a professional artist and I've heard that the controller tracking can be thrown off when picking things from the Quill palette because one hand is always blocked. An important deadzone that one sensor could fix. 

I own a Quest and I believe that Insight tracking is incredible for games and experiences- but for my professional work there are deadzones I'd like buffered out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Demand for it is supposedly measured by Votes in UserVoice which never gets attention. The most ever Votes is for Strafe to be added in Home yet they ignore it!

xsrvaderx
Explorer
I have been using the original Rift for about two years now without major tracking problems.
Since a few days I now also have the Rift S, but the tracking is not of the same level as the original Rift.
The dead area immediately before the headset is terrible in many situations.
If this cannot be 100% solved with software / firmware updates, the external sensors are required for a good experience.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
i return my mine

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Another vote here to bring back Constellation tracking for the original sensors to be used with Rift S.

Many of my best game's don't work properly with Rift S Insight tracking due to dead spots near the headset causing freezing making it impossible for me to aim properly with Rifle+scopes in Onward/Pavlov/Contractors and also the same goes for bows in Archery games like In Death/Apex/Skyrim.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Kiwiphobic
Honored Guest
Having the option to use the external sensors, in tandem with the inside out system, would solve/enhance tracking.  I haven't upgraded to the Rift S yet, this option would ease my mind to get one.  One vote from me.  

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
Sadly, I don't think Facebook/Oculus will implement additional sensors as it would be equivalent to them admitting that their Insight tracking system is flawed; it wouldn't look good to have one of the first inside-out tracking HMD's have to be propped-up by the very type of system it intended to leave behind. 

Facebook/Oculus will definitely try to mitigate the issues through software for a while before they consider bringing Constellation tracking into the equation. I just hope they have enough staff working on these issues so Rift S owners don't have to suffer the same beta/release timeline the CV1 owners had to (iirc, it took around 1.5 years from the launch of the CV1 to get to the stable tracking it has today). 

I support the development of inside-out tracking, and I know VR is still in its infancy... I just don't like the idea of this potentially being the second time Facebook/Oculus has made beta-testers out of their first-adopters.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

Telorn
Expert Protege
I'd love to be able to use my external sensors to improve my Rift S tracking. 

I feel it is no different than them selling the original rift with only 2 sensors but then saying for 'best' experience you should get 3. Same concept here. You can get by with inside out, but for best experience, we recommend getting an external sensor to compliment it.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
As far as i know the S does not have the infrared tracking dots embedded around the headset like the CV1, so it won't be able to use the CV1 sensors or any kind of external tracking sensors without the S headset being altered.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.