cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Use Gamepad Without Rift S Remapping Buttons?

Famorii
Explorer
VR nub here, be gentle 😉  I'm trying to play pancake games via Virtual Desktop, but there are a couple of problems.  One, can I stop my headset from acting as a mouse pointer?  Second, can I turn off Rift S's automatic remapping of my Xbox gamepad buttons?  A is select, B is back, etc... Useful for desktop, but completely interferes with games.  Can I unpair the gamepad?  Would that fix this?  Is there a .ini file I can rewrite?

It doesn't get in the way all the time.  But, say in Jedi: Fallen Order, when I try to double jump I just get one jump and then I do an attack...  Breaks the game >.<  Having a window pop up when I dodge isn't great, either 😛
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to understand why on earth you would want to play a flat game with a headset on. I just don't get it.
Do you see some strange advantage in having a headset on? If you don't need it, why wear it?

Famorii
Explorer

Richooal said:

I'm trying to understand why on earth you would want to play a flat game with a headset on. I just don't get it.
Do you see some strange advantage in having a headset on? If you don't need it, why wear it?

Because, my left controller, Gimpy, is being replaced due to gesture impotence.  In 40+ days q_q  Not many one handed VR games out there.  Prejudiced against amputees, it seems 😉

On top of that, a headset acts as a ridiculously enormous, excellent quality screen that you can size and position to your desire from anywhere in your room.   They are infinitely more immersive and conducive to comfort than IRL pancake screens could ever be.  You can even play pancake games in fantastic locales via Home + Virtual Desktop.  Movies, too!  VR headsets are used for more than just native VR games...

There are some games you can't play in VR without something like VorpX, too.  Just because I have VR doesn't mean I won't be playing non-VR games.

So far the only workaround I've figured out is to use SteamVR's VD.  It's not ideal, but it works pretty well with Steam's library and I really dig playing in my very own movie theater 😄 

It's pretty ridiculous that I have to use the competition's version to use something as simple as a gamepad as a friggin gamepad, though.  I'm really hoping this is just a bugged configuration with a better solution through the Oculus App.  Gonna be playing a lot of 60-100+ inch Witcher 3 till then, I guess.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I don't know about you, but the Rift S is no where near as good a display then even a cheap 27" monitor (size is not everything) so my wife says - lol.
Now I have tried what you are doing, and moving my head did not act like a mouse, My touch controllers do, but not movement of the HMD.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I would never play a pancake game in my Rift S.

Famorii
Explorer

Umpa_PC said:

I don't know about you, but the Rift S is no where near as good a display then even a cheap 27" monitor (size is not everything) so my wife says - lol.
Now I have tried what you are doing, and moving my head did not act like a mouse, My touch controllers do, but not movement of the HMD.

My monitor is about on par with the Rift S display.  It's also across the room from my bed, which is infinitely more comfortable to play from with a gamepad / watch movies from.  Reading text and enjoying fine details becomes almost impossible without a headset at that distance. That the screen size can be any size and distance I want is a huuuuge bonus for me ^_^

I have no idea why my headset tracks as a mouse when I use the gamepad.  I've tried resetting, repairing, reinstalling, but no variety of re- based options has turned that garbage off.  Is your gamepad also forcibly mapped to certain functions like grab / resize window, select, back, etc...?

Blackbody
Honored Guest
I'm having this problem too and it's infuriating.  When someone asks for help with something, you really shouldn't run into the support thread and say "lol, you shouldn't value that thing anyway!"  I mean honestly.

I know it's not better than my monitor, but I have some mindless stuff to do in a game I play, and I wanna lay in bed with my controller and do it on a virtual screen that's floating over me.  I don't need 4K for that.  But I press up on the left stick, and Oculus goes, "Oh, you want to scroll up?  Mouse wheel up!"  So the game makes my character run forward AND zooms the camera in, because Oculus said so.  I turn my head, and suddenly the cursor appears and drags across the screen because the game thinks I'm moving my mouse.  Going into "aiming over the shoulder" mode makes the camera whirl around with my head movement and it's nauseating and unplayable.

This is incredibly frustrating.  There should be a "stop doing this oh my god" option for what is essentially a gaming device.  I've contacted support but I'm not expecting much.

Honosuseri
Protege

Famorii said:

Richooal said:

So far the only workaround I've figured out is to use SteamVR's VD.  It's not ideal, but it works pretty well with Steam's library and I really dig playing in my very own movie theater 😄 

It's pretty ridiculous that I have to use the competition's version to use something as simple as a gamepad as a friggin gamepad, though.  I'm really hoping this is just a bugged configuration with a better solution through the Oculus App.  Gonna be playing a lot of 60-100+ inch Witcher 3 till then, I guess.

The free options, Oculus built in Virtual Desktop and Big Screen beta add pretty serious input lag/latency. Using the paid for Virtual Desktop app (on Steam or Oculus) has much less lag/latency. So besides the controller issue you're describing VD is still the way to go if you actually want to enjoy playing the games!

I use VD to play lightgun games in VR using the Touch controllers. I could play them on a flat screen with a mouse BUT that's lame. I could buy an Aimtrak or Sinden lightgun BUT the Virtual Desktop software is MUCH cheaper and essentially gives me the same experience

Famorii
Explorer

Blackbody said:

'I'm having this problem too and it's infuriating.  When someone asks for help with something, you really shouldn't run into the support thread and say "lol, you shouldn't value that thing anyway!"  I mean honestly...

...This is incredibly frustrating.  There should be a "stop doing this oh my god" option for what is essentially a gaming device.  I've contacted support but I'm not expecting much.'

Very much agreed!  Occulus Options -> Peripherals:  Use Gamepad to navigate UI (On/Off).  Done.

I also communicated with Support.  While they're thankfully quick to respond they didn't have anything useful to offer 😞  It's such an obvious use for them that I can't see why they bothered mapping over gamepads natively to begin with. 

Those bizarre replies trying to convince me I didn't want what I wanted must've been from some of the many Oculus fan bois.  Suggesting that things aren't perfect irks them 😛  Heaven forbid something change that doesn't affect them involuntarily haha.