cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many bands are in the Rift S headphone jack?

DevonOW
Honored Guest
First off, I wanna say that I've searched everywhere looking for an answer to this question: forums, YT reviews, tech pages, etc and I've found nothing. I've tried finding out myself with a flash light but I just can't see inside the jack to figure out.

*Side Note* - the audio connector for the headset only has 3 bands but still gives left, right, and mic signals so how does that work?

So, here's the question: how many bands does the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the Rift S have and what is the order of those bands' signals?
I want to know if there's 4 bands because I want to use earphones with a built in microphone so I can use them for audio and as a microphone for my Rift S
I'm tired of people saying my mic quality is complete garbo.
If there's only 3 bands and no way to have audio and mic be lined through your Rift S then here's another question for anyone.
What do y'all use for your mic solution to the Rift S? Is there a way to have a mic and headset go through your Rift S and be used for gaming or w/e? 
I'm looking for some kind of mic of decent quality that I can use with my VR headset and I'm considering using a Lavalier mic in combo with earphones so I can have a nice audio experience while using the Rift S but I don't know if it has to be that complicated to get good mic quality.
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
the audio jack on Rift S is audio only I believe. Try using a wireless gaming headset like a Razer Nari. Then switch the audio and mic in Windows to the Razer Nari.

Fangzhou
Adventurer
Same here, I got several VRChat friends says my voice quality suddenly become bad, sounds like using cheap voice changer..(They don’t even know I have changed from CV1 to Rift S).
I tried to find out a solution for this, but no solution yet. The 3.5mm jack seems only for audio. 
I guess rift s is compressing the microphone signal too much to save bandwidth of the only USB 3.0 (comparing to CV1, Rift S need to transfer additional video stream of five cameras in this USB wire), or it is doing some re-sampling for removing the sound from the Rift S audio itself.
Maybe the only solution is to buy a wireless headset with a microphone for this.