cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I MUST have Facebook account now?

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
I used to visit other peoples homes in Oculus. Haven't done that in a while and tried to visit one of friends homes today. But i get a message i must log in with Facebook to use social features. Why?  What's next? No multiplayer at all in any game with MP component without FB account? Can't start a singleplayer game without FB account? I would still use FB if you weren't selling user info off to third parties.
26 REPLIES 26

kojack
MVP
MVP
Deja vu

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Yes, unfortunately they didn't change their minds since the last time you posted about it.

LoneEcho
Expert Protege

kojack said:

That post was about accepting friend requests. You couldn't do it from inside Vr. But you were able to visit other people homes without problem even if you didn't have a FB account. So if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DuxCro said:
That post was about accepting friend requests.

It was about this too:
OR i can click on "link accounts." Which requires me to take off freakin
headset and accept friend request on Facebook. W..T..F??? So i can't have any friends in VR because i must use your antisocial network?

You are clearly talking about using Facebook, the social network. Which you try to wittingly refer to as the "antisocial" network while you ironically use antisocial language.

if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.

If you want to create a new thread, you could at least... you know... actually remember what you previously wrote.

LoneEcho
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

if you want to  link my previous post, you could at least...you know....actually read it.

If you want to create a new thread, you could at least... you know... actually remember what you previously wrote.

Yet another idiot with no understanding of English language. Yet it is exactly people like you who will give out your private info so easily and then be the loudest when it gets misused.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DuxCro said:
Yet another idiot with no understanding of English language.

Accurate way to self-reflect. I concur with this description of yourself. 😉

Yet it is exactly people like you who will give out your private info so easily and then be the loudest when it gets misused.

So far, you're the loudest voice trying to protest a false sense of being misused.

As for me, I have several certifications in IT Security and know how to protect my private data. You should pursue something similar, as it will help you not overreact when situations like "Facebook Account Required" arise.

Friends need Facebook accounts to interact with each other, visiting homes of people who are friends is interacting with friends... which need a Facebook account. Requesting friends and accepting friends needs a Facebook account.. it all comes down to the same thing.

This thread is similar enough to your other thread which kojack linked, that it makes that link valid.

Also, insulting people  who disagree with you is not a good thing. I'll continue to monitor this thread... disagreeing with post is fine, insults aren't... that goes for everyone.

Bottom line is, instead of having an Oculus and a Facebook account, Facebook have moved all social features to requiring a Facebook account, that's it. You don't have to use a Facebook account for anything else... you don't have to share photos about what you've had for lunch... or how well your offspring have done since graduation... etc. etc.

Just share as much or as little as you want. I have a FB account but share nothing, there's zero effect on my privacy and security.

Unlike my phone provider who seems to have no control over number spoofing or cold calling. Or financial institutions who have (in one instance) allowed someone to set up a credit card in my name and transfer their debt onto it. Luckily I caught that quickly and it didn't affect my credit score or anything.

gregor616
Adventurer
@Zenbane
Your responses crack me up. You don't sugar coat things. Love it.
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

Anonymous
Not applicable
@DaftnDirect

I have a FB account but share nothing, there's zero effect on my privacy and security.

Yes there is. You just don't realize it because you're not informed well enough. A number of people already proved that Facebook collects data from your device just from being logged in. It's stupid to deny that. Get informed, people....

But it's also stupid to think this is specific to Facebook. Data business is the foundation of the entire web industry. If you use tags on an image website, other image websites will know you like those tags before you even know about that website. My point is, if OP doesn't want their information to get collected, they shouldn't even be on that forum.

That said, I do hate the grip Facebook has on Oculus. Oculus had its own account system and it was working perfectly. Facebook got rid of it just because it wanted to tighten its grip on VR users, it's an undeniable fact.