cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPD of 56 with Rift S

Anthik
Protege
I have an IPD of 56mm, so i wanted to know if i will have any problems with it.
10 REPLIES 10

Pivot2163
Explorer
Yes, but even at the lowest setting you can use the headset in moderation. If you go too long though, you'll get a headache.

Anthik
Protege

Pivot2163 said:

Yes, but even at the lowest setting you can use the headset in moderation. If you go too long though, you'll get a headache.

How long do you think i can go? I would like to play at least one hour

u must b a friggen psyclops

Anthik
Protege

u must b a friggen psyclops

There's alot of people that have it lower than me...

Pivot2163
Explorer

Anthik said:

Pivot2163 said:

How long do you think i can go? I would like to play at least one hour

Mine is 59-60 and I can handle up to a couple hours before I need a break. As you get better acclimated to it you will be able to last longer.

The recommended IPD range of the S is 58 to 72 and I think that recommendation is important and probably what you should be seriously considering before buying.

My IPD is 67 so 5mm within the recommended maximum and I feel it's a good visual experience for me, better than the original CV1. The sweet spots are larger than CV1 which means the focus is maintained to a larger radius as you move your eyes around, and with my 67, the outer limits of that radius seem maybe very slightly better, whilst the inner radius extends much further inwards so overall the area of good focus is better.

I feel that as you get to the recommended IPD limits, those outer or inner focal limits become much more noticeable. If your IPD is 2mm outside of the recommendation, you'll have trouble focusing as you look towards your nose with either eye, whereas the outer radius will look great.

I just think in your case you should try one out before buying if you can. I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of becoming used to the lenses with something as important as vision if you think you'll be spending a lot of time using it. My feeling is those recommendations have been arrived at with good reason.

Anthik
Protege

The recommended IPD range of the S is 58 to 72 and I think that recommendation is important and probably what you should be seriously considering before buying.

My IPD is 67 so 5mm within the recommended maximum and I feel it's a good visual experience for me, better than the original CV1. The sweet spots are larger than CV1 which means the focus is maintained to a larger radius as you move your eyes around, and with my 67, the outer limits of that radius seem maybe very slightly better, whilst the inner radius extends much further inwards so overall the area of good focus is better.

I feel that as you get to the recommended IPD limits, those outer or inner focal limits become much more noticeable. If your IPD is 2mm outside of the recommendation, you'll have trouble focusing as you look towards your nose with either eye, whereas the outer radius will look great.

I just think in your case you should try one out before buying if you can. I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of becoming used to the lenses with something as important as vision if you think you'll be spending a lot of time using it. My feeling is those recommendations have been arrived at with good reason.

The problem is that no store sells vr headsets where i live and i can't go out because of quarantine. Some time ago i tried the psvr and it worked great for me but idk how different it is from the rift s.

It looks like PSVR has a software IPD range of 57 to 71 so pretty much the same as Rift-S. If you got on fine with the PSVR you're likely to be fine with the S but it depends how long you tried the headset and whether you really looked closely at the focus at the edges of the sweet-spots.

Also, some people move their heads more than others, some people move their eyes more... if you move your head more when looking around, the sweat spots will move with you so things will look better than if you move your eyes more... some games will have you looking around more at the periphery of vision, some games have more going on at the centre. In your case, the worse case is likely to be games that have things happening close to you, as that's when your eyes will be looking inwards the most, towards your nose, I think there are a few variable that can make a difference.

Well anyway, I'm not sure we can give you more advice than that really. If there are people with a 56mm IPD who can share their experience, that would be good.

Fadeeaway
Protege
I have an ipd of 58, I can not use the rift-s. I also do not think we in the "edge-land" should be satisfied with having a worse experience due to our eyes being narrow or further appart than the majority of people. Just don't buy it, buy a headset with a slider instead and you get a better experience and maybe one day Oculus starts including everyone again.