cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love my rift S - and hate it at the same time!

RattyUK
Trustee
Introducing the Rift S as replacement for the Rift was a great idea - overall a better visual and comfort experience, not so keen on the new Touch controllers, but they are fine really...
Now my Rift, with 2 sensors would run happily on my laptop, perfect for taking away with me and still have fun.  I'm not so fortunate with the Rift S, it will work on my laptop, for a few minutes, then hand controllers will 'freeze' and the passthrough turns to static - a little later and tracking stops altogether and time to quit.  On my PC there are no issues.
So, a better HMD - love it!  But it doesn't 'play nice' on the same equipment that the predecessor was happy with, it makes no sense.  Hate it!

Not really a serious gripe, but I do 'cuss' the lack of mobility with the Rift S in my particular case, it is not as if the laptop is barely within specs...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
2 REPLIES 2

nalex66
MVP
MVP
That’s weird... the only thing I can think to suggest is to look at the Rift S in the device manager; it probably shows as a hub in the USB section. Make sure it’s set to not allow Windows to turn it off to save power. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RattyUK
Trustee
It is wierd, @nalex66  - power saving is certainly off, I think the laptop power on USB is borderline and requires my powered hub, which the power supply melted a few days back (got a dog blanket keeping it warm...).
Just odd that the original rift with 2 sensors didn't require it!

I'll pick up another powered hub soon and have another play, currently my main PC motherboard has been RMA'd so the poor laptop is being hammered :smiley:
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3