cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rift S isn't working on my new gaming pc

RallexV
Honored Guest
I connected my Oculus Rift S to my previous computer and it didn't have a great graphics but it worked and I got play the default games on it and everything. I just bought a new Acer Nitro, I7 processor, Nivida Geforce 1060 6 GB gaming computer and installed the Oculus software and when I did the setup, everything worked until when it told me to put my headset on to continue the setup inside VR all I saw was black, the screen never turned on. But now every time I plug it in it says "Update your USB 3.0 driver" but it is up to date windows says and when I plug the cord into the USB 3.0 slot it doesn't identity it. Someone please help me I bought this new computer to finally make videos and this week has been garbage and I spent so much money to make this all work 😞
3 REPLIES 3

ditobaon
Honored Guest
I'm having this exact same issue with my MSI laptop.  What it appears to be, I haven't confirmed this yet, is an issue with the display port connector.  Several people have found that using an adapter for the DP to use the USB-C 3.1 Gen2 (specifically that connector, not Gen1) or Thunderbolt 3 has solved this issue.  Mine is in the mail so I cannot confirm or deny yet but from what I've been able to find on your laptop (Acer Nitro 7 right?) you've got a USB-C 3.1 Gen2 so should be able to use this method. Make sure to get the right connector. 

If it works it'll be a cheap solution to a very annoying issue.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I'm not sure when VR people will understand that a Laptop gaming PC is never going to perform as well as a similarly spec'd desktop PC.  Also, many inexpensive gaming laptops do not even have DP and/or TB3 wired through their dedicated gpu (not integrated).

Even current high end laptops are never going to compete with similar spec'd desktops imho.  

I kinda know since I have a fairly high end Alienware laptop (see my signature for details) and I really wish I had gotten a good desktop to begin my VR experience.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, I just went threw this and found a way to get it to work.  I bought mine day 1 and it has worked fine up until three days ago and the latest windows 10 update.  Since then, I am getting the exact same thing.  Headset wont come on, complete black when it use to work.  While they have not solved the issue (software, driver, whatever is causeing it) I took the advice of the forums here and created a new NON Microsoft user account with administration control.  BUT I named it something simple like Tony.  4 letters, no spaces or special characters.  I then was able to start up my VR and it worked fine just like always.  If I switch back to my main account (where it had been working since day 1) I get the hardware error and it is all black wont start.  My user name for my main account has a space in it which may be causing the problem (for example Tony Tony)  Not sure if that is what is causing it (the space in the name) but others have had some luck with this workaround.  I hope they fix it soon and identify the problem.  I don't want to keep changing logging in and out just to play VR.  Give it a try and let us know...