cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rift S keeps on freezing randomly - FIXED SOLUTION IN DESCRIPTION

MariekeNicolaij
Honored Guest
Hello.

For the past few weeks I have been trying to enjoy my Rift S. My rift S sometimes hangs for a sec (like no tracking) and after that the game would continue normally without sound. Except for BeatSaber. This game keeps hanging but it easy to fix by just disabling and enable my rift in sound panel.

Most of the time when something unexpected is happening to my rift s it is a random disconnection. The screen will go black. The status light will go orange. Windows tells me I did not connect DP properly and after 10 seconds or so the rift s seems to work again but I have to restart my game.

What I have tried so far:
* All kinds of sound panel options for the audio cut issues
* Tried all my usb 3.0 en usb 2.0 ports
* Tried all my dp ports
* Updated windows to 1903
* Reinstalled the oculus software
* Disabled usb power management in device manager and the one in power management
* Reinstalled windows (1903)
* Disabled usb legacy mode in bios
* Returned the rift s for another rift s
* Bought and installed the recommended inateck card (with the power cable ofcourse)
* Disabled bluetooth (read somewhere it could help)
* I only have my monitor(hdmi), mouse, keyboard and logitech unifier connected to my pc
* I tried probably more but cant think of it now

I am totally lost. I hope someone can help me and others.

My pc specs:
* Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
* Intel Core i7 5820K
* 16GB RAM
* Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5
* Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti (MSI, 4GB)

I kept track of task manager to see if got any weird spikes but everything seems normal. My temps are also normal when I play VR games. Nothing higher than 70 degrees celcius.

Sooo what is causing these random disconnects/freezes? Is it really my pc? Looking forward to hear from you
Kind Regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED!!! WOOOHOOOO!
I have been contacting Oculus support as well and they have helped me a lot. Btw their support is awesome they respond within 2 hours with numerous possible solutions.

TL;DR:
If you still have problems after trying EVERYTHING(well not everything but you get my point) try this:
This will only work for people with an additional PCIe card (preferably one recommended by Oculus)
You should put your pcie-card into a PCIe 16x slot and NOT into those smaller ones (4x slots)
You should probably also disable powermanagement but I guess you have already done that otherwise you wouldn't be here 😉

If anyone still has problems I am happy to share the conversation I had with Oculus. It has several possible solutions that I have not seen while Googling this problem:

Hello Jennifer!

I can not express how happy I am!!
This worked!
Thank you soooo much for helping!
I will share this solution on a discussion I have opened a week ago hoping it will help other as well. I have also included my responses. Maybe it will help someone idk.

Kind regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

Van: support@oculusvr.com <support@oculusvr.com>
Verzonden: donderdag 7 november 2019 01:15
Aan: 
Onderwerp: [Oculus Support] Re: Random freezes and/or disconnections

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request () has been updated. Reply to this email or click the link below:
tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/requests/

Jennifer (Oculus Support)

Nov 6, 4:15 PM PST

Hello Marieke,

I am following up on your conversation about some freezing and disconnection issues with your Oculus Rift S.

You've done very thorough troubleshooting, and since replacing the device and reinstalling Windows has not helped, nor adjusting the play space, I agree with you that there is something in your computer setup that's causing problems.

The symptoms you describe suggest USB bandwidth issues. I see that you are using the Inateck Superspeed PCIe card, which has a single host controller for all four slots.

It's important to make sure that the card is connected to a full PCIe x4 or x16 slot. Some motherboards share bandwidth across slots. I checked the specifications for your motherboard, and I see that slots 1 and 2 are full 16x. If your USB card is plugged into one of those, it should work well.

If you are using slot 3 or 4, though, there is some bandwidth shared with the x1 slots, and that could be causing bandwidth problems. In that case, please try switching the card to slot 1 or 2.

If that does not help, it is possible that this particular USB 3.0 card does not work well with the Rift S. Although we previously recommended the Inateck PCIe card, we have since updated our recommended models. You can find the most recent list here (under Oculus Rift)

Please let me know the results of your testing.

Jennifer
Oculus Support

Jesse (Oculus Support)

Nov 6, 2:34 PM PST

Hello Marieke,

Thanks for getting back to me. I see that the issue is still occurring when you cover up the reflective surfaces in your play area, as well that you're still able to rotate the controller when the tracking was lost. We are going to continue looking further into this. This does not mean that we have stopped working on your issue, just that it will require more time for us to do our investigation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we will contact you back with more information or an update as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Jesse
Oculus Support

Mariekenicolay

Nov 6, 12:27 PM PST

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for getting back at me.

I have covered all reflective parts of my room with blankets. As soon as I started playing I wrote down everything what happened. The game I played was BeatSaber. This is what happened:

In the first minute I immediatly got the usual freeze with audio cut.
Soon after that I tried to play a song and the controllers disconnected for a sec but no hang and no audio cut.
I got some random stutteres in the meanwhile but nothing extreme.
After the first song the Rift S disconnected, got the notification about DP port not connected. I do get this often while I get the random disconnections but soon after that the Rift S is fine again.
A usual freeze happened after 5 minutes of what previous had happened and after this happened within 10 seconds of continuing the song my controllers disconnected for a second without anything weird happening.
After that within a minute the usual freeze happened again.
After 4 minutes of playing again the usual freeze happened.
After 3 minutes of playing again the usual freeze happened.
At this point I changed ports again. When I put on my headset there was an immediat freeze.
After 30 seconds again the usual freeze.
After 5 minutes of playing the game the controllers disconnected for a short while.
After again 5 minutes I got the usual freeze and the controllers disconnected for a really short while.
After 3 minutes of playing the controllers disconnected for a really short while again.
And after 6 minutes I got the usual freeze again. At that point I stopped playing.

"When the headset tracking is lost, check to see if you can still rotate your controllers when the controllers tracking and audio freeze."

When I get the usual freezes I can still move the controllers but there are often in weird locations. They are located a few meters away from me but they do react to my motions.

Thank you so much for helping me and I hope and pray you find a solution bsed on my info.

Kind regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

Verzonden: dinsdag 5 november 2019 21:37
Aan: 
Onderwerp: [Oculus Support] Re: Random freezes and/or disconnections

Jesse (Oculus Support)

Nov 5, 12:37 PM PST

Hi Marieke,

Thanks for getting back to us. The reason why we wanted photos of the play area were due to issues that could've caused tracking issues.

Looking at your photos I was checking if there was anything in your display area that could interfere with your headset tracking. I see that you have a mirror, 2 windows and a sliding door, and windowed door next to the play area. All of these are reflective surfaces and can disrupt tracking, since the tracking uses optical sensors in the headset to track the controllers.,

Because reflective surfaces can interfere with the tracking, can you try covering up all the reflective surfaces around the play area and see if the loss of tracking persists.

When the headset tracking is lost, check to see if you can still rotate your controllers when the controllers tracking and audio freeze.

Email me back with that info, or if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Jesse
Oculus Support

Mariekenicolay

Nov 5, 10:56 AM PST

Hey Danielle,

Thank you so much for replying so fast!
Sorry for my late response. I wanted to take pictures of my play setting in the evening and afternoon and I needed time to test all potentional solutions 🙂

"You mentioned you replaced your original Rift S. To confirm, was the same issue happening with the other headset? If yes, has the Rift S worked fine in the past? Were there any recent changes with your PC?"

That is correct. At first, after everything I tried, I thought maybe it was the headset so I swapped it for a new one (Rift S for a Rift S). There was nothing wrong with the old Rift S. It worked perfectly fine apart from my little problem now :). So it must be something with my pc somehow.

"Can you please describe your play location for me? I ask because lighting is a factor for our tracking."

Please look at the images in the attachments. The red 'squares' indicate where I play VR.
Are my white walls interfering with the tracking maybe?
Also, I do not experience any difference regarding what time I play.

"Also, do you experience similar issues while playing in other locations? If you haven't tried another location please do that."

What do you exaclty mean by other location? As in another room or building or as another pc?

"If nothing changes after that, try manually reinstalling the Oculus drivers."

Saldy this also does not work. I still get a short hang at a random time with audio being cut off.

"If the issues persists then I would like you to try opting into the Public Test Channel, this will have the latest build of the Oculus software and we've included updates that should help."

After downloading and installing the beta updates I restarted my computer as instructed. I played BeatSaber for about 4 minutes when the Freeze happened again. After that it did not happen for atleast 30 minutes untill the Rift S hanged and disconnected. After that I was done for the day. The next day I tested BeatSaber without SteamVR and the freeze happened within a minute. When I wanted to continue the game after disabling and enabling the headset I got the whole disconnecting thing again. I also tested with SteamVR and I get a freeze without audio approximately each 6 minutes. So strange because yesterday it looked way better. Only got one freeze and one disconnect. I have reinstalled steamVR but with no progress towards steady gameplay.

"Along with that, when you reseated the headset cables did you notice any damage (bent pins, frays, twists, kinks, etc.)? If you are unsure, please send me pictures and I can review them for you."

Everything looks fine to me. Everything is super straight.

Again thank you for helping me. I hope you got a solution.
Kind regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

Verzonden: zondag 3 november 2019 21:27

Attachment(s)
My play area in the evening part 1 of 2.jfif
My play area in the evening part 2 of 2.jfif
My play area in the afternoon part 1 of 2.jfif
My play area in the afternoon part 2 of 2.jfif

Danielle (Oculus Support)

Nov 3, 12:27 PM PST

Hey Marieke,

We appreciate the information you provided!

You mentioned you replaced your original Rift S. To confirm, was the same issue happening with the other headset? If yes, has the Rift S worked fine in the past? Were there any recent changes with your PC?

Can you please describe your play location for me? I ask because lighting is a factor for our tracking.

• If it's too dark you may need to turn on more light.
  • If it's too light then you may need to adjust the intensity, or amount of light.
  • Texture is another factor with tracking.
    • If there is not enough contrast between objects in the room, this could lead to tracking issues.

Also, do you experience similar issues while playing in other locations? If you haven't tried another location please do that.

If nothing changes after that, try manually reinstalling the Oculus drivers. It’s possible something caused them to fail:

1. Close the Oculus app
  2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command​
  3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
  4. Open oculus-driver
  5. Open the Oculus app and try your headset again

Please note that this is a silent install so no pop-up should appear. If nothing happens after five minutes please continue with the next steps.

If the issues persists then I would like you to try opting into the Public Test Channel, this will have the latest build of the Oculus software and we've included updates that should help. To enroll in the Oculus Rift Public Test Channel:

1. Open the Oculus app on your PC computer.
  2. Select "Settings" in the left menu.
  3. Select the "Beta" tab.
  4. Next to "Public Test Channel", click to enroll.

If there is no change to your issue (or it was resolved) after the updates have completed then you can disable the Public Test Channel at any time, if you wish. Those steps and more information on that can be found by clicking here.

You may want to restart your computer again and the Oculus app after that's been done. You can restart Oculus Home by going to "Settings," clicking on "Beta" and then clicking "Restart Oculus."

Along with that, when you reseated the headset cables did you notice any damage (bent pins, frays, twists, kinks, etc.)? If you are unsure, please send me pictures and I can review them for you.

Get back to us when you can.

Danielle
Oculus Support

Mariekenicolay

Nov 3, 11:52 AM PST

Hi Darryl,

Thank you so much for responding so fast!

"I do have some suggestions you can try. First, can you try removing all other hardware from your PC. You can keep the basic devices connected like the Keyboard, Mouse, monitor, internet connection and the Rift hardware attached. I'd like you to try this, so that we can isolate what might be affecting the connection. When you've made these adjustments, restart your PC before testing."

These are the components that are connected to my pc:

* Logitech Unifier (to connect my keyboard and mouse)
* A micro usb cable that is not connected to anything
* My primary monitor (I do not have any other monitor attached)
* A headset with an audio/microphone splitter
* LAN-cable
* The Oculus Rift S (Display port and usb 3.0, I did connect it to the pci express card that Oculus recommend)

I did have an additional device attached to it but I removed that, restarted my pc and tested the Rift S with Beat Saber sadly with no luck. I could play for 5 minutes and it hanged again + sound was gone. I could continue the game by disabling and enabling the Rift S in sound panel.

"I was wondering if your setup has any extension cables being used. If you are using any expansion cables, please remove them and connect our cables directly to the PC only. Please consider this with regards to the use of adapters too. Please only use the hardware that we provide. Other devices or adapters can affect the headsets effectiveness."

Other than the pci express card I got no extention cables or hubs connected to my pc.
The exact name of the pci express card is as follows:

Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop with 15 pin SATA Power Connector, [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ]

Hope this can help in a way. I am unable to order from the American Amazon page since they often do not ship to the Netherlands so I found, what I think, the exact same one on the German version of Amazon.

"I would also like for you to try re-seating the cable from the headset. The cable can be disconnected from the headset once you've remove the halo. When you try this, re-seat the audio cable as well. These connections can become loose after using the head set."

Tried this. I put them out and put them in again. No progress sadly.

"Have you tried updating your video and USB drivers. Updating both of these will help ensure that you have the latest fixes installed and available. details on how to do this can be found by clicking here<https://support.oculus.com/1802104516741690/>."

Yes I have, I am using Geforce Experience to update my GPU.
After I reinstalled Windows and installed my programs again I made sure I had all the updates Windows had to offer. Everytime it did update a bunch I restarted my pc to look if there was more.
After the Windows update ritual I downloaded Iobit Driver Booster and this program showed me there were still a lot of updates and I took care of it.
My pc must be 100% up to date now.

"Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response."

I did and I hope and pray you will find some use with it.

Again thank you so much for helping me. You have no idea how much this means to me.
Have a great day and I hope to hear from you soon!

Kind regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

Verzonden: zondag 3 november 2019 18:36

Attachment(s)
Oculus_Logs_Marieke_20191103_203548.zip

DarrylJ (Oculus Support)

Nov 3, 9:36 AM PST

Hi Marieke,

Thank you for contacting Oculus support.

I can help you with the freezing and disconnections.

I think we can resolve this issue more effectively through phone support. How would you feel about us setting up a callback to continue working through this?

If you’re interested, please provide:

• your phone number
  • a 2 hour time-frame
  • Your timezone

I do have some suggestions you can try. First, can you try removing all other hardware from your PC. You can keep the basic devices connected like the Keyboard, Mouse, monitor, internet connection and the Rift hardware attached. I'd like you to try this, so that we can isolate what might be affecting the connection. When you've made these adjustments, restart your PC before testing.

I was wondering if your setup has any extension cables being used. If you are using any expansion cables, please remove them and connect our cables directly to the PC only. Please consider this with regards to the use of adapters too. Please only use the hardware that we provide. Other devices or adapters can affect the headsets effectiveness.

I would also like for you to try re-seating the cable from the headset. The cable can be disconnected from the headset once you've remove the halo. When you try this, re-seat the audio cable as well. These connections can become loose after using the head set.

Have you tried updating your video and USB drivers. Updating both of these will help ensure that you have the latest fixes installed and available. details on how to do this can be found by clicking here.

The next step will be to check the log files. Could you provide a copy by following these steps:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
  2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
    • The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
  3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
  4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
  5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
  6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
  7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Best regards,

Darryl J
Oculus Support

Mariekenicolay

Nov 3, 9:19 AM PST

Hello.

For the past few weeks I have been trying to enjoy my Rift S. My rift S sometimes hangs for a sec (like no tracking) and after that the game would continue normally without sound. Except for BeatSaber. This game keeps hanging but it easy to fix by just disabling and enable my rift in sound panel.

Most of the time when something unexpected is happening to my rift s it is a random disconnection. The screen will go black. The status light will go orange. Windows tells me I did not connect DP properly and after 10 seconds or so the rift s seems to work again but I have to restart my game.

What I have tried so far:
* All kinds of sound panel options for the audio cut issues
* Tried all my usb 3.0 en usb 2.0 ports
* Tried all my dp ports
* Updated windows to 1903
* Reinstalled the oculus software
* Disabled usb power management in device manager and the one in power management
* Reinstalled windows (1903)
* Disabled usb legacy mode in bios
* Returned the rift s for another rift s
* Bought and installed the recommended inateck card (with the power cable ofcourse)
* Disabled bluetooth (read somewhere it could help)
* I only have my monitor(hdmi), mouse, keyboard and logitech unifier connected to my pc
* I tried probably more but cant think of it now

I am totally lost. I hope someone can help me and others.

My pc specs:
* Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
* Intel Core i7 5820K
* 16GB RAM
* Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5
* Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti (MSI, 4GB)

I kept track of task manager to see if got any weird spikes but everything seems normal. My temps are also normal when I play VR games. Nothing higher than 70 degrees celcius.

Sooo what is causing these random disconnects/freezes? Is it really my pc? Looking forward to hear from you
Kind Regards,
Marieke Nicolaij

0 REPLIES 0