cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift S Defective?? Cameras become "Static" or "TV Snow" in just SECONDS

Chips4hoy
Protege
I just bought a Rift S, and I experienced Guardian setup for a few seconds before the cameras shut off and my screen turned to snow / TV static.  After restarting my PC I was actually able to get a visual and completed setting up my playing space, and was greeted by the main menu --- only to see my screen return to snow / TV static again.  Does anyone else have this problem with their BRAND NEW RIFT S?   I'm hoping this can be fixed or else I will have to return this device and / or hope this problem is resolved...
69 REPLIES 69

Chips4hoy
Protege
Update: After reconnecting the Rift S and a couple PC restarts I managed to get to the virtual "home" menu and that nice inviting setting, but only after a few seconds my camera sensors cut off and i then see nothing but static.  Hopefully not defective and just needs a firmware / patch????

Chips4hoy
Protege
I used my phone to capture what i see even after setting up my guardian space.  Seeing my room doesn't last long at alln676b65xh4gm.jpg

duy_mo
Explorer
Hey

I had the same problem for the first hour or so. I couldn't reset the guardian and passthrough was not working unless I completely reset my system.

I connected to a different USB port, still had the problem. Changed it to a third USB port and it's been smooth sailing for 3-4 hours now with no tracking or camera issues.

Chips4hoy
Protege

duy.mo said:

Hey

I had the same problem for the first hour or so. I couldn't reset the guardian and passthrough was not working unless I completely reset my system.

I connected to a different USB port, still had the problem. Changed it to a third USB port and it's been smooth sailing for 3-4 hours now with no tracking or camera issues.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! i'll try it out, though for me it kind of sucks because i currently have my oculus plugged into the "VR Ready" labeled usb port, but i'll try my other 3.0 ports and see if i can get similar results to yours.  I appreciate your help, will update....

stim21
Explorer
Tried all of the above and I'm still having issues (updated windows, graphics card, installed the two firmware updates, ensured usb power settings both in the cpanel and device manager, swapped usb ports & display ports, restarted several times) can't get more than ten minutes of playtime... guess I'll hope a firmware update comes out ASAP or return it :neutral:

ShocksVR
Superstar
The latest STEAMVR Beta update:

Oculus:
  • Fixed haptics on Rift S controllers.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1613890529289268803

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

KeytarGT said:

I used my phone to capture what i see even after setting up my guardian space.  Seeing my room doesn't last long at alln676b65xh4gm.jpg

Maybe an Easter Egg?

Dubitshu
Explorer
Nearly the same here : New Rift s and cant go through guardian setup : I got video a few seconds but black and white and a little choppy (but the ui IS displayed ok) and then it cuts off before I Can complete the setup. 

Tried Oculus procédure (plug and unplug cables, restart service), switched cables to every available USB port, updated drivers, clean GPU driver install... Computer is a brand New vr ready laptop. Im becoming a bit desperate here if anyone as an Idea it would be much welcome !

Sinsinful
Expert Protege
After a full day dealing with the same nonsense and no reply to my ticket with Oculus I'm just getting going to start looking for a refund. If this is their support on their "Flagship" headset what chance have we got in the future with problems. This lunch is a joke. Apparently they know it does not work with ASMedia  USB hubs and said NOTHING.
I am enraged to the point were a refund is the only way to go here due to the lack of official response from Oculus.