cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer_x64.exe high CPU usage

SImDrive
Honored Guest
Hello, 

I currently have Rift S and noticed really high CPU usage when it comes to OVRServer_x64.exe When I start a game without moving the headset is all ok and OVRServer_x64.exe is using around 2% CPU but the moment i put it on, it goes to 16-20%

rdl2lrzjp1i5.png

I am running a 7700k at 4.6Ghz and a GTX1080.
This surely can't be normal and its causing many problems to the point that I cannot play them. I switched from CV1 a couple of months ago and never had this issue with the CV1.

Any advice?

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you on the public test channel? I am and I'm playing the same game and noticed today that after an update to oculus software and firmware my performance completely tanked in ACC. total slideshow at the same settings I've been using. Had to opt out of the beta and rollback the drivers/firmware and all went back to normal. I didn't see this post until after after I already downgraded to no clue about cpu usage. Just that it became unplayable
9700k@4.9ghz, 1080ti, rift S

SImDrive
Honored Guest

Are you on the public test channel? I am and I'm playing the same game and noticed today that after an update to oculus software and firmware my performance completely tanked in ACC. total slideshow at the same settings I've been using. Had to opt out of the beta and rollback the drivers/firmware and all went back to normal. I didn't see this post until after after I already downgraded to no clue about cpu usage. Just that it became unplayable
9700k@4.9ghz, 1080ti, rift S

I was on the public test channel and also rolled back today but didn't help and still getting the same. Which drivers are you using?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nvidia 441.38 oculus 1.43

SImDrive
Honored Guest

Nvidia 441.38 oculus 1.43

I suppose you mean 441.08 🙂 There is no 441.38 yet. I am now going to update to the latest one and try

No one else is having the same issues with high utilization?

ShocksVR
Superstar
My understanding is the Server process (among other things) handles the tracking, so maybe that's just the overhead for tracking?  That's seems awfully high though
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have not noticed any performance differences with ptc 12.0 (Rift cv1 w/2x sensors) with any of my flight and racing sims (including Assetto Corsa).  Using nvidia 436.48 (graphic drivers and physx only, no hd nvidia audio or geoforce experience).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP

ShocksVR said:

My understanding is the Server process (among other things) handles the tracking, so maybe that's just the overhead for tracking?  That's seems awfully high though

Yep. The OVRServer is the program that actually does the majority of the
Oculus related work. It's receiving 5 videos streams from cameras on
the Rift-S, performing computer vision algorithms on them to track the
world as point clouds, handling controller constellation tracking, performing time
warp and space warp processing and doing the distortion post process
effect on every frame rendered.
Doing all that kind of requires a bit of CPU and GPU.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i wonder if your hdd space shrinks when that happens? if so then trying to install the game on a different hdd might help if it does the hdd wont shrink.

SImDrive
Honored Guest
The SSD is not shrinking no. I just tried a fresh Oculus install and the same thing happens so no improvement