cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S broken for 4 MONTHS! USB 3.0 broken on MSI computer. [EDIT: NEW RIFT SENT NO ISSUES]

dmbartel
Explorer
Ever since the 12.1 software update my Oculus Rift S has been broken. I have been told for 4 months now "it is a crazy time" and to "keep waiting". I did get one reply stating that there are issues with MSI computers and the Rift. Has anyone had any luck restoring functionality to the Rift S when the software will only recognize USB as 2.0? I have tried everything, I can not remember all that I have done but I have messed with drivers, deleting, reinstalling them...changing permissions on all sorts of devices...reinstalling oculus software, changing usb ports, wiping my PC and having a fresh windows install, PTC, plugging stuff in in different orders, countless software reset requests...I am waiting on a USB c adapter but I do not have any expectations that it will do anything.  I have had absolutely no help from the oculus team, all they say is to keep waiting! Everything worked perfectly until this 12.1 update so the issue is clearly software, but they offer no way to rollback the updates to a functioning version. This product is under warranty and has been broken for over 50% of the time I have owned it, I have got no help from Oculus so I am asking has anyone found a way to get past the USB issues? What is it about MSI that causes problems? I bought this computer to use the Rift S and at no point did it say anything about avoiding MSI laptops. The thing worked perfectly until this update, so I do not think it has anything to do with who shoved the components into a case.  I am at my wits end! please help me make this thing work!
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same exact thing here and I do not have an MSI motherboard I have an ASUS Rog. I've seen more people with these same problems since version 12 than I can count and the motherboard hardware combinations seem to be all over the place. The only certainty is none of this was a problem before that driver update and Oculus admitted to me in my ticket that this is now a known issue with their software that they are working on. I honestly don't think it will ever be fixed. I am waiting on a replacement headset on the off chance that this was a bad batch of Rift S' that are effected by their bug... but I also am not hopeful anymore. I'm chalking this up to a learning experience and will just buy a different brand in the future. If my Rift S ever works again it will be a bonus.

Pivot2163
Explorer
I have an MSI Raider X99A MB and had some issues with my CV1 and Rift S. After some internet digging I found that Oculus units do not like the MSI USB ports so best bet was to purchase an add-on PCIE USB 3.0 board. Think I got mine for $30-40 off Amazon. No problems since. I also found using the Oculus Tray Tool (google it) helps tremendously. It can be set to restart the Oculus services on PC wake, which was a real problem from my PC. Cured all the headaches with Windows reporting it didn't recognize the device. Good luck hope it helps.

John

dmbartel
Explorer
@Pivot2163 I am using a laptop (GE63 Raider RGB 8SF). I am not sure that I can easily change the USB port, I have not looked into this at all so if anyone has any starting points to doing this that would be appreciated. I will check out the Oculus Tray Tool until then and I will try out the USB to USB C adapter whenever Amazon can get it to me. That being said, the first time I tried to connect after a fresh complete wipe,windows,oculus software, driver install it was immediately not recognized.

@"adam.poole.313" How did you get them to send you a replacement headset? This is actually the second headset as the first one was also bricked from an update before 12.1.  I asked for a replacement headset but was given something like "its probably not hardware but software and a new headset wont help." Right now @OculusSupport said they would try sending me a new cable, which is strange because last I was told it was not hardware. the cable has not been sent. that was two weeks ago and they are just straight up ignoring further requests. Like you, I do not have faith in some sort of resolution to their broken product. I feel like they are trying to stall until the warranty expires. It sucks that I wasted so much money on this thing, and what I do not understand is that it worked PERFECTLY until the 12.1 update. Why can I not just load the software that works while the problems are fixed? It doesn't make sense to me at all. I spent a lot of money on the headset and many different games when it did work...what a waste.

If anyone reading this is looking to get into VR...stay as far away from Oculus as possible! I went with them because they were the first, and I did not have a problem with the Rift +touch so I upgraded to Rift S when it came out. The first one I had was bricked from a software update and replaced, the second one sent to me was bricked from a software update (ticket was sent 01/09/2020) and despite being under warranty has been sitting unused and broken for more than 50% of the time I have owned it. @OculusSupport is most unhelpful, and will ignore you for weeks to literally months at a time. So unprofessional.

Dmbartel

Pivot2163
Explorer
Maybe an external powered hub could help. A lot of the problems are to do with how Windows dishes out power to its USB ports. It has been said the the powered hubs even help desktop PC's in that case. I do think OTT will help as well. Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dmbartel said:

@"adam.poole.313" How did you get them to send you a replacement headset?   I asked for a replacement headset but was given something like "its probably not hardware but software and a new headset wont help." 

I was also told that a replacement wouldn't help because it was software related and to just continue waiting. After about 4 months I honestly think my support tech (actually gone through 3 of them) just ran out of excuses for the wait so he offered to replace it just in case. You should ask again and point out that other customers are receiving replacements for this issue. PM me if you want a copy of my support chat to show them.

bamakeith20
Honored Guest
Same here. not sure i will get another oculus hardware there support has been terrible. The update came out and I cant even use my rift s which i paid alot of money for.  Oh well oculus got my money guess they don't care anymore.  Wouldnt recommend the rift s to anyone.

grove21
Protege
Pfffthhh what did you expect from oculus? Next time think twice about getting facebook's products.

dmbartel
Explorer
@grove21 I don't know what I expected (that's not true, what I expected was a working product) I clearly did not do enough research. What do you recommend?....@Pivot2163 and @"adam.poole.313" thanks for the replies. I can try external hubs and whatnot, but it is the same computer that worked fine until the software update...I mean the hardware was compatible and functioning literally up until this software update. So frustrating.  If the usb C adapter works I will let yall know. And I will look into external hubs and OTT for my next lessons in futility

dmbartel
Explorer
Oculus finally responded and said that it was not a software issue, but rather a problem with one of the cameras on the headset. A new unit was sent to me and so far is working fine. I don't know why it took so long to get an actual helpful response, but so far everything is working as it should