cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus touch controller Constantly drifting away.

JedgeyTheHedgey
Honored Guest
Hi there, 
I've been having an issue recently with my touch controllers (I have an oculus rift). During a play session, the software informed me that my right controller battery was low. After I replaced the batteries in both controllers, suddenly my right controller just isn't tracking properly. If ever I try to move the controller at all, my hand in-game just yeets itself off into the distance, coming back after about 2-10 seconds, just to do it again if I try to move it.
Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a way I can fix it?
3 REPLIES 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
That could mean the optical tracking is failing and its falling back on inertial tracking (which is only meant for very short periods and causes drift if used for more than a second or so).

Try looking at both controllers using a phone camera. This will show the infrared lights inside. See if there's any noticeable difference (brightness, some lights not turning on, etc).

This is what it should look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zhaQrcU3A

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JedgeyTheHedgey
Honored Guest

That could mean the optical tracking is failing and its falling back on inertial tracking (which is only meant for very short periods and causes drift if used for more than a second or so).

Try looking at both controllers using a phone camera. This will show the infrared lights inside. See if there's any noticeable difference (brightness, some lights not turning on, etc).

This is what it should look like:

Thank you so much for your response, this definitely sheds some light on the issue.
Unfortunately, my headset is a rift rather than a rift s. My controllers are older, and I don't think they have those same infared lights. Do you have any insight for that case?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Actually they both use the same tracking system, just a different arrangement of dots.
Here's the CV1:

Note that those dots are only visible through a camera with a poor IR filter (like a mobile phone), you can't see them with the naked eye.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2