cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Link

• You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
  • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
  • General stability improvements

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 
153 REPLIES 153

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Wow, that ignore option works very well, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Ok I think there needs to be some clarification and some calming down.

I've said previously this forum is by and for Oculus users, it's predominantly a place for users to come and share their interests. Oculus sometimes view posts and respond to them but Oculus support is definitely not the main purpose here. Problems are dealt with via the support ticket system, feature requests via the UserVoice system.

With that in mind, anyone posting in the forum should bear in mind who the audience of the posts will be. The audience is other Oculus users. Posting about problems is fine but their are ways to post without antagonising everyone else who doesn't have those problems.

For example, a large proportion of the people who post about a problem, don't ask forum members for help, they don't describe their system specifications, they often don't describe the problem itself in any detail. They seem only interested in expressing anger at Oculus as many times as possible, to Oculus users. It shouldn't be a surprise that user's then respond with counter arguments.

This then often quickly escalates, sometimes the member expressing dissatisfaction sees any counter claim that another user's headset is fine as an additional reason to get annoyed.

The forum can be a helpful place when people come here asking for advice, very often, the people who are happiest with their headset are the very same people who are the first to give advice when new members have an issue.

There is a borderline, when the number of posts about the same greiveance becomes trolling. It happens rarely and to my knowledge I think people have been removed from the forum only once or twice for that particular reason. But all posters should please remember who the audience is here. It's not entirely accurate to say that anything goes on the forum provided it's within the rules, four of the rules are designed to combat repetitive and antagonistic posting across multiple threads, when behaviour begins to move towards trolling.

Now, on the other side of the coin, users who are responding to posts about problems, I would suggest helping those that ask for help and perhaps just don't respond to those that don't ask. But please try and avoid escalating arguments. With 3-4 million Oculus headset in use now (complete guess on my part), the forum will have some complaints, perhaps some of the complainants have gone through the support system and now just want to express anger here, the forum has changed completely from when we were all enthusiasts to now where most a enthusiastic consumers. Most consumers imho go to a forum when they have a problem as opposed to enthusiasts who go to forums to share their enthusiasm, that's a natural progression for this forum and unavoidable. I think we all need to adapt to this to some extent.

Anyway, hope everyone understands what I'm saying and takes it as helpful advice, not as criticism. Happy posting and be nice to each other.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

TomCgcmfc said:

Wow, that ignore option works very well, lol!

Yes, he's on mine now.  I bet he got bullied as school quite a bit.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

max883 said:

It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  

This is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life!!! 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.  USB devices only draw as much current as they NEED.  There is absolutely NO WAY what you said can happen.  Simply not possible.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it's possible, if the cable is badly designed or faulty.
The cable contains hardware that negotiates between both ends to choose a suitable current. But some cheap cables just allow max current regardless of either end's ability to handle it.

But it shouldn't be happening from a software update, it's a hardware design fault.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Digikid1
Consultant

kojack said:

Digikid1 said:

max883 said:

It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  

This is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life!!! 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.  USB devices only draw as much current as they NEED.  There is absolutely NO WAY what you said can happen.  Simply not possible.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it's possible, if the cable is badly designed or faulty.
The cable contains hardware that negotiates between both ends to choose a suitable current. But some cheap cables just allow max current regardless of either end's ability to handle it.

But it shouldn't be happening from a software update, it's a hardware design fault.

In THAT regard yes.  But with a PROPERLY designed and maintained cable....no.

JakAzz425
Explorer
Has anyone heard from oculus if they are going to patch or have this fixed at any point?  I feel like Im about to blow the plugs out of my GPU and Mobo from connecting and disconnecting cables everytime they say to, (like its going to help).  Kinda ridiculous honestly.....
Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Z390 With 9900K / 970 Pro 1tb Boot Drive And WD Black 6tb Data Drive / 64GB Dominator Black / Strix 1080 TI / RMi1000 Watt / Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 2 Rad Custom Rigid Loop

morphee7
Expert Protege
well would you look at that the old problem of the mic making me sound like a ronbot has returned from v14 i think it was? well i have sent feedback as all my drivers are upto date and bios is upto date, the thing is the last time this happened i was on a different motherboard and i was also on a different GPU so go figure oh and also a different cpu

Paragun
Honored Guest
Any News for a new update?? Like most of us here, the headset still doesn't recognize the USB 3 port...

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Paragun said:

Any News for a new update?? Like most of us here, the headset still doesn't recognize the USB 3 port...

The next release (v18) is available in beta form now. You can try it by opting in to the PTC (public test channel) in the Oculus PC app. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Paragun said:

The next release (v18) is available in beta form now. You can try it by opting in to the PTC (public test channel) in the Oculus PC app. 

Unfortunately V18 is still not able to correctly identify my USB 3 ports. (Even though every version up to V17 was able to)