cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - USB (Update Drivers) fun...

RattyUK
Trustee
Everything working fine after installation and several hours playing various games last night.
Switch on PC this morning and Rift S is fine, a couple of hours later it is bleating about USB drivers - the very same that were fine earlier...

sf88xyabqyjg.jpg

What is it with Oculus and USB?  The rift was very fussy but improved over time, but at least was fairly predicatable.  now their newest generation appears to be equally unpredicatable.
Only bleating as the S wouldn't startup (black screen but sound) until a reboot then comes up with this lettle gem - frustrating, Oculus, frustrating!

ETA: Forgot to mention - there are no newer USB drivers - everything is completely up-to-date 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
38 REPLIES 38

RattyUK
Trustee

alexcpeng said:

Hi, I have same problem
My alienware 15r4 all USB port supply USB 3.1

But my rift s only can run USB 3.0

But are they 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2?
The description 'changed' a year or so ago, so what used to be 3.0 is now 3.1 G1 and what was 3.1 is now 3.1 G2...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

vfragos
Protege

RattyUK said:

Everything working fine after installation and several hours playing various games last night.
Switch on PC this morning and Rift S is fine, a couple of hours later it is bleating about USB drivers - the very same that were fine earlier...

sf88xyabqyjg.jpg

What is it with Oculus and USB?  The rift was very fussy but improved over time, but at least was fairly predicatable.  now their newest generation appears to be equally unpredicatable.
Only bleating as the S wouldn't startup (black screen but sound) until a reboot then comes up with this lettle gem - frustrating, Oculus, frustrating!

ETA: Forgot to mention - there are no newer USB drivers - everything is completely up-to-date 🙂

Yep, same problem for me, although everything is working. Puzzling. 

Same here.

Rosgillies
Adventurer
Oculus support are sending me a new cable. We`ll see.

JohnnyMac63
Explorer
My error suddenly went away then resurfaced the next time I tried it ,some red warning flash,that was to quick to read popped up.and then clicking on my desktop from dash brought up the ovr service error.a little confused at this point

Rosgillies
Adventurer

My error suddenly went away then resurfaced the next time I tried it ,some red warning flash,that was to quick to read popped up.and then clicking on my desktop from dash brought up the ovr service error.a little confused at this point

The very same thing as is happening to me, and when I told Oculus they immediately despatched a new cable.  Hmmmm!!!

MikeKemp
Explorer
Today I fired up my Rift S and it says I need to update my USB drivers. Same message as the OP. Apart from the static flash I have had no issues with my Rift S. Sure hope this isn't the start of problems. I checked and there is no USB update available.

Update: I remember back with my CV1 it was recommended to use Fresco drivers so I thought I would try to install those drivers. My Rift S shows as disconnected with those drivers. So I went back to the Microsoft drivers and my Rift S is connected again but still shows the update driver warnings. I also opted out of Beta to see if that helped but no change. I am not sure what is going on.

RattyUK
Trustee

MikeKemp said:

Today I fired up my Rift S and it says I need to update my USB drivers. Same message as the OP. Apart from the static flash I have had no issues with my Rift S. Sure hope this isn't the start of problems. I checked and there is no USB update available.

Update: I remember back with my CV1 it was recommended to use Fresco drivers so I thought I would try to install those drivers. My Rift S shows as disconnected with those drivers. So I went back to the Microsoft drivers and my Rift S is connected again but still shows the update driver warnings. I also opted out of Beta to see if that helped but no change. I am not sure what is going on.

It is just advisory - I guess if the version of driver isn't on their database then it issues the warning.  I couldn't get any newer than June 2019 for my drivers...

oldroddy54
Explorer

RattyUK said:

sf88xyabqyjg.jpg

Just had exactly the same thing happen to me,was working fine this morning,now i get the same message,and identical screen.What.s going on?.

Malker
Honored Guest
same thing here. I've opened up a ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep it is happening here as well. Sounds like Oculus needs to update  their driver database or something, I have all latest drivers.
Not affecting my experience, just my slight OCD looking at the orange warning rather than the green all is well indicator.