cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S games get locked to 60 fps in headset (instead of 40/80 fps)

jvoltz89
Honored Guest
I've been troubleshooting an issue where juddering begins to happen after playing a certain game for more than 5-10 minutes. I had assumed it was the game's fault, because it didn't seem to correlate with high GPU or CPU usage, but then I noticed it happened in another game as well.

I fired up the Oculus Debug Tool to watch what happens to the framerate and noticed that after 5-10 minutes of play the Rift S decides to try to maintain 60 fps instead of the standard 40/80 fps, which causes a constant judder. This happens even when ASW is forced on and the game is running steadily at 40 fps--after 5-10 minutes the framerate ramps up to 60 fps and stays there.

The framerate then remains at 60 fps until I minimize the mirrored game
display on my desktop and wait a few seconds. After the framerate goes back down to 40 fps, I bring the
window back up and can play for another 5-10 minutes and then the issue
repeats.

At first I thought something in the Oculus software was getting confused and trying to match my monitor's refresh rate instead of the Rift S's, but the same thing happened when I set my monitor's refresh rate to 40 Hz. With ASW forced on and a 40 Hz monitor, the framerate still ramped up to 60 fps.

Any ideas on what the problem could be or how to go about finding the issue would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

Shundrie
Explorer
oh gosh I don't know about frame rates but I did notice it stays at 60fps and then drops. I got the shudder - and it just got worse -
now it shudders flickers and crashes....... I wondered if it was since I got the third monitor but it didn't happen right away which it should have, so I'm wondering now if this is what started it.  Looks like a ghost town here for people to  help though - did you get any answers? 

jvoltz89
Honored Guest
No answers yet, though I also posted on reddit and someone else thinks it's a v-sync issue (which sounds right to me). If I find a solution I'll post it here.