cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift not detected after PC restart

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the thread about this issue appears to have been deleted... so here we go again...

Everytime I power on my computer I have to replug my USB cable to make my Rift S work.

Any idea what the problem is?

29 REPLIES 29

blanes
Rising Star
Wow this is BS on Oculus part ... why they not talk to us about it ?  I have this problem since only last few months and before Rift S worked fine on same PC since I got the S last year.  Surely someone there has a clue and can fix this or provide some workaround so we do not have to unplug/plug the usb port evertime we reboot or turn on the PC  ?

This crap is really ridiculous at this point as its been going on far too long now. :#

TK.Prince
Protege
very too long now ... 

b_timofte
Explorer
I have the same problem 😞 I need to unplug the USB cable every time i power off/on my PC 😞

jannyk
Honored Guest
Same problem

letekmgc
Honored Guest
I tried the riftS from a friend for 1 month
Never had this problem
Enjoyed the experience, bought one

! Same config, same system, same everything ! 

My Brand new Rifts has this "unplug me at statup" problem. And i can be sure my MB gives enough power to usb3 (tried 3.1, same problem) 

Votixivity
Honored Guest
Hey guys, I may have found a way to fix this issue for some people. I was trying what I saw on other posts and going to device manager > universal serial bus controllers > Rift S usb hub. Now for me, I had 2 (Rift usb hub) under (universal serial bus controllers). So what I did was go to (driver) and hit (disable device) on both of them, I then restarted my device. After restarting, I reenabled the settings that I had disabled. Now when I open the Oculus launch it still tells me the the usb for the headset is not connected, but it runs now without me having to unplug and plug back in the usb every time I turn off my PC. In case you want to know what laptop I am using, its the Asus zephyrus G14 with the RTX 2060 max-q and the ryzen 9 4900hs. I hope this helps you guys!

smay925
Honored Guest
I have the same issue on restart if it's plugged in it's not recognized.  If I don't use the RIFT S for a while it seems to go into sleep mode and I get an error saying device no longer recognized.  When going into device management I see "Unknow USB Device (Port Reset failed)".  It then becomes a complicated process of unplugging the device and restarting the computer and plugging it in.  Very frustrating experience.  I think I'm going to return it if every time I want to use it I have to go through some sort of reboot, disconnect and reconnect process.  Plus just getting this device setup was a very time consuming process.  Issues with motion sensor checks, pairing the controllers, not recognized device. Isssues with flashing so on and so forth.  Probably one of the most difficult setup process for setting up a USB device I have had in a very very long time.  

PopTheBalloon35
Honored Guest
anyone figure this out.  It worked fine all day now just tells me there is a problem

azbobs
Honored Guest
Same problem here!!!
I have spent over 30 plus hours trying every suggestions and cant get past the initial start up screen doesn't connect and get a green dot the usb3 or display port. If I cant get this dam Christmas present working its going back to Walmart!!This is our first time in trying out VR and has been nothing but a pain in the ass!! Wont load so I have a nice paper weight for $400, very sad that OCULUS is selling the RIFT S and from all the forums I read Oculus should be ashamed of their lack of customer support and refuse to roll back the crappy update that seems to have broken the RIFT S. So I have two more days to get this dam RIFT S to be seen in the setup screen, looks like the RIFT S may never to work again.

MEGASOCIO86
Honored Guest
Hey guys, same issue here, I have found a solution but I don't know if it works for everybody, anyway:
1 - boot pc with the Oculus cables unplugged
2 - boot oculus client
3 - plug in the oculus DisplayPort before the Oculus usb cable
2 - USB reset port failed error pops out
3 - open device manager
4 - disable the USB port with the error
5 - unplug the oculus usb
6 - wait a few seconds for the Oculus client to detect the unplugged cable
7 - plug back in the usb
8 - enable the USB port disabled before in the device manager
After this last step it should work, hope it helps someone.

Anyway this sucks, I have used a USB tester to see if the cable has some issues and I found out that sometimes it drops to 4,87 Volts so I think it might be something about too much power requested from the headset and your pc can't handle it but I'm not sure.
The Oculus support is pure shit and they will only trigger you more so don't lose time with them.

Cheers