cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot Mic

Xurrh
Honored Guest
So when I'm talking through my Oculus Rift S mic, it starts to go all robotic. Not lag or anything, my mic just sounds like a robot for a bit then stops. Is there a fix to this? Everything is plugged up correct I believe and I have had my Oculus for exactly a week now.
7 REPLIES 7

Fangzhou
Adventurer
Same here, my VRChat friends says my voice sound like using some terrible voice changer..I guess this is possible because of Rift S uses cheap mic hardware, or Rift S compressing the voice too much to save bandwidth (the only USB 3.0 need to transfer video stream of 5 cameras + voice..), or maybe the mic is doing something to remove the sound from the open audio system. Anyway this definitely need Oculus to fix. 

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I had this issue as well, not using extension cables fixed it for me.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey there @Xurrh and @Fangzhou! 

There could be a few different causes for mic quality issues. I find most issues with this is caused by either USB bandwidth, or conflicting drivers. We would love to look into that for both of you, so please grab a copy of your Diagnostic logs and then create a ticket with us having them attached so we can do so.

Thanks! -Aidan
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Xurrh
Honored Guest

Fangzhou said:

Same here, my VRChat friends says my voice sound like using some terrible voice changer..I guess this is possible because of Rift S uses cheap mic hardware, or Rift S compressing the voice too much to save bandwidth (the only USB 3.0 need to transfer video stream of 5 cameras + voice..), or maybe the mic is doing something to remove the sound from the open audio system. Anyway this definitely need Oculus to fix. 

So I played Onward yesterday with a friend and along with people in game talking to them, I didn't seem to have any problems. I figured out that my mic was plugged up to a different usb other than 3.0. I will test again today to see if it continues to work.

kaha66
Protege
same here

ASchneiderBR
Protege
Hello guys. My mic still turns into "robotic mode" out of the blue. Please Oculus, fix it!

DannyDan2468
Protege
I have this issue too. mostly after waking up from sleep mode in win 10. restarting the headset with a batch file helps:
@ECHO OFF

NET STOP "OVRService"
  TIMEOUT /T 3
  NET START "OVRService"