cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Upgrade Motherboard?

DannyDug0ng
Sightseer
Hello there!
I had just recently gotten a Rift S and when I tried to set it up on my PC I had experienced the same problems a lot of people were having. I plug in the USB3 and displayport cables, both green ticks but can never pass the sensor checks. But whenever I try again and again the USB3 gets a red X, sometimes green only to fail the sensor check again. There's also a windows message that pops up every now and again saying "Not enough USB controller resources". I've disconnected everything I could and it still doesn't help. I tried setting it up on my brother's laptop and it worked perfectly fine, we played Beatsaber for a while. So considering my Rift S works on his laptop, that may just confirm that there's something wrong with my PC. I've tried;
-changing the USB3 drivers in Device Manager
-gave permissions for camera and mic in privacy settings
-updating my BIOS, GPU drivers etc.
-restarting
-plugged into other ports including USB2.0
-reinstalling oculus software and changing it to Beta

I've read somewhere on Reddit that apparently older motherboards tend to have bad USB3 ports that don't really work well with the Rift S. My specs are;
Op. system: Win 10
MOBO: P8H61-M LE/USB3
CPU: Intel i7 2700k @3.5GHz
Ram: 8GB
GPU: RTX 2060 6GB

Please let me know what you guys think and tell me any suggestions as to what to do from here. If you need anymore info, let me know as well. I probably missed a bunch cuz I'm writing this at the top of my head XD
3 REPLIES 3

rednekcowboy199
Explorer
You need to purchase a PCIE USB 3 card.  Preferrably and Inateck one as they seem to have 0 issues.

DannyDug0ng
Sightseer

You need to purchase a PCIE USB 3 card.  Preferrably and Inateck one as they seem to have 0 issues.

Thanks for the reply! I've considered getting one but my only problem is that there's barely just enough space to install one because my GPU takes up a lot of space on the motherboard. Those cards look flat enough to fit but it might be touching the GPU. 

ohgrant
Superstar
 Yes you should upgrade. There is no CPU upgrade path that would get you to the minimum CPU specs. being the 3770k being the fastest 1155 and still not compliant with minimum specs. https://support.oculus.com/248749509016567/
 I ran my CV1 for a little over a year with my old 1555 Xeon 8 core E3 with minimal issues, but there were games and apps that really illuminated to me that it was time to upgrade. Your 2060 should serve you well in a new PC
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.