cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StarTech 4-Port 4-Controller Card and General Computer Questions

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
So I've had the StarTech USB card for quite some time while using my Rift, and it's been working quite well. Though, I've always found it puzzling that whenever I try to look up the PCIe connection the card is using (using speccy and AIDA 64) it always states that it's running at PCIe 2.0 x1 speeds when initially I had thought I had purchased a card that was advertised to work at PCIe 2.0 x4 speeds. I've also read in many places where persons purchasing this same card have been getting the same experience (speed only at x1 instead of x4) and returning their cards because of it. As of many months ago when I couldn't resolve the issue, I had just resigned to the idea that it was what it was, and since it was working fine, I didn't touch it. 

Though, after taking a closer look into the device manager and the individual Host Controller Bus numbers for each USB Host Controller that is associated with the StarTech card, I see that each individual host controller has a different bus number, each running a PCIe 2.0 x1 connection. Now, I don't know a lot about the inner workings of computers, but am I wrong to suspect that the card has actually been working correctly all along, that since there are 4 USB controllers on the card, each with it's own PCIe lane @ 2.0 x1, the connection between the card and mobo actually has the potential to run at PCIe 2.0 x4 speeds (with the caveat that each controller can only max out at PCIe 2.0 x1)?

I guess the real computer question here is: What do the Bus numbers mean in these instances of USB Host Controllers? Also, would it be possible that in placing this card into a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot it then registers in my device manager as 4 separate devices at 4 different locations, each with its own reserved PCIe lane (hence never actually showing x4 speeds)?

Thank you to anyone who has the patience to read and explain this to me 🙂
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
1 REPLY 1

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
Shameless Bump...

But also, I've come to the conclusion that the card is indeed running as specified (in a PCIe x4 slot, 4 Host Controllers each individually securing a single PCIe lane @ 2.0 x1 from the 4 lanes possible). 

The question now becomes: Is it more efficient to have the sensors each running on their own PCIe lane, or have them bundled (2+ per Host Controller; e.g. using multiple USB 3.0 ports that are associated with the a mobo Host Controller) to reserve the lanes for other calculations (like the GPU)? Again, I don't have a clear understanding of how the whole PCI system works, so any help would be appreciated 🙂
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup