cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Between Audio Devices When Using Headset

Hi all, new RIft S owner here with a question about audio.

So yesterday I picked up my new shiny Rift S from Argos (bargain price), set it up as per the instructions and it worked perfectly first time, runs my steam apps - all good so far. BUT when I stopped using the headset and went back to my PC monitors I found the installation process had set the Rift S speakers and mic as the default audio devices, so I had to manually change them back to use my webcam mic and normal headphones.

The question is, how (in Windows 10) can you set up the audio devices so that when the headset is in use (e.g. when the Oculus app is running) the Rift audio is active, but when you close it down, the audio goes back to the default audio devices?

I've messed about in Windows settings at length, googled, searched this forum and still haven't found the answer.

Can anyone help?
6 REPLIES 6

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

Thanks! I think I remember Mike at the VR Oasis mentioning that - I'll try it out.

That is one amazing tool! Audio switching works perfectly now and it adds a link to Steam VR as well.

Perfect! Thanks for that great tip. 🙂 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Most Rift games should use Rift audio automatically without affecting the Windows default audio.
Some don't though. The main one off the top of my head that doesn't use the Rift by default is Elite Dangerous.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

EDIT: I found the answer to this - you have to enable hot keys in Tray Tool, then you can enable the HUD. It did show dropped frames at certain times, mainly when loading games, but also within games. Still not sure why it's happening though.

A follow up question: I don't seem to be able to enable the HUD. I'm getting a tiny bit of judder when my head moves quickly* and just want to check that frames are not being dropped. My Steam stats suggest zero dropped frames (which is what I'd expect as my PC is better than recommended spec for the Rift S).

*The usual cause seems to be USB3 port trouble, but before I go to the chew on of pulling my computer desk out from the wall again to try a different USB port I want to be reasonably sure it's worth it.

kojack said:

Most Rift games should use Rift audio automatically without affecting the Windows default audio.
Some don't though. The main one off the top of my head that doesn't use the Rift by default is Elite Dangerous.

To be fair, the problem wasn't getting the sound to go to the Rift S, it was getting it to go back to the Windows default devices when I'd finished with the headset.