cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TechCrunch is reporting that the Rift 2 has been CANCELLED as Brendan Iribe leaves Oculus.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
The title says it all. Here's the article and the quote.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2...
"Iribe is leaving Facebook  following some internal shake-ups at the company’s virtual reality arm last week that saw the cancellation of the company’s next generation “Rift 2” PC-powered virtual reality headset which he had been leading development of, a source close to the matter tell TechCrunch."

Can we get a confirmation or denial of this from Oculus officially?

Update:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/oculus-co-founder-brendan-iribe-is-leaving-facebook-1202988298...
"Facebook denied a Techcrunch report that the departure was prompted by a corporate decision to cancel plans for a second-generation Oculus Rift headset."

"There are some indications that the departure wasn’t completely amicable. Techcrunch reported Monday that Facebook decided to cancel plans for a PC-powered Rift 2 headset that Iribe’s group had been working on, prompting him to throw the towel. Facebook subsequently denied this report, with a spokesperson telling Variety
: “Yes, we are planning a future version of Rift.”"

Update 2:

Lucas Matney of TechCrunch has doubled-down on the cancellation rumor, suggesting that Oculus has cancelled the variation of the CV2 that is currently under development, but also concedes that there may still be a CV2 in the future.

https://twitter.com/lucasmtny/status/1054447200078573568

Update 3:

Nate Mitchell has chimed in, stating clearly that the Rift/PC platform is still in the works, but he doesn't give any clarification on possible changes to their business strategy therein.
https://twitter.com/natemitchell/status/1054460295697944578

83 REPLIES 83

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Brixmis said:

HomeCommunityOculus Rift + Touch

TechCrunch is reporting that the Rift 2 has been CANCELLED as Brendan Iribe leaves Oculus.

Ba-ba-ba-bullshit 🙂

0sp2ofrbjgod.jpg

I feel the need to point out that I believe that is horseshit 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

And this underlines why FB must get in front of this and get some proper info out.

nah. Since 2016 I've watched fake news try to bait Facebook in to giving information prematurely. It didn't work then, and it won't work now. They are already confirming that this rumor isn't true and the Rift has a future. That's good enough. Demanding "more proof" is just bait.

I am probably dreaming but I could have sworn I saw another post from you where you said exactly the opposite and mirrored what I said? 😕 

Yeah but I was being facetious. I made a post saying that Propaganda will force Facebook's hand, and then I followed up with emphasizing that this is the only way to stop snowdog from buying the Pimax HMD.
Sorry for any confusion. My honest opinion is that Facebook and Oculus will just continue to provide high-level assurances that the Rift isn't going anywhere. They will wait until the fires die down, as they always have.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Brixmis said:

Ba-ba-ba-bullshit 🙂

0sp2ofrbjgod.jpg

Quit the shit posting and stop talking crap..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

bigmike20vt said:I feel the need to point out that I believe that is horseshit 😉

Quit the shit posting and stop talking crap..

I looking forward to the first reports of someone passing out in front of their computer with a scat site loaded on the screen.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

Ba-ba-ba-bullshit 🙂

0sp2ofrbjgod.jpg

Nope. Totally 100% factually true. They really did report it. 😉

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Brixmis said:

Ba-ba-ba-bullshit 🙂

0sp2ofrbjgod.jpg

That's Google for ya!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Brixmis said:

Brixmis said:

Ba-ba-ba-bullshit 🙂

0sp2ofrbjgod.jpg

That's Google for ya!

Lol I worked on a farm as a child. I know my crap 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

And this underlines why FB must get in front of this and get some proper info out.

nah. Since 2016 I've watched fake news try to bait Facebook in to giving information prematurely. It didn't work then, and it won't work now. They are already confirming that this rumor isn't true and the Rift has a future. That's good enough. Demanding "more proof" is just bait.

I am probably dreaming but I could have sworn I saw another post from you where you said exactly the opposite and mirrored what I said? 😕 

Yeah but I was being facetious. I made a post saying that Propaganda will force Facebook's hand, and then I followed up with emphasizing that this is the only way to stop snowdog from buying the Pimax HMD.
Sorry for any confusion. My honest opinion is that Facebook and Oculus will just continue to provide high-level assurances that the Rift isn't going anywhere. They will wait until the fires die down, as they always have.

Fair enough . 2 hrs sleep the past 2 nights, I may not be the sharpest tool in the block at the best of times and that went over my head 😉

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'm on Holiday and I felt a disturbance in the force but came on to read this thread and I see all is normal and shitty, back to my holiday you nobbers  😄
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

I think it is somewhat obvious now the Rift may not be going anywhere for a while.
Bwaha!