cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for making me Facebooks BITCH

greenpile
Honored Guest
I remember a statement from the oculus devs after facebook bought their asses. It was like "We at oculus can't understand why the community is so against our new facebook partner"
Well, I will show you why. OVRServer_x64.exe is sending encrypted data to your new overlords.

Prove: https://i.imgur.com/HYF1Zve.png

Can't you understand that I do not want facebook to get anything from me? I don't even want to have my IP in their server logs. RESPECT MY PRIVACY!
199 REPLIES 199

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Reading this thread i think the scariest part is not that they collect data, even down to where we look in VR, but the fact that a majority of people just don't care at all. Posting tinfoil hat pics and arguing that they don't have any secrets anyway.

You know, at least Google is free. By using this free service I can argue that I have to finance it by accepting ads and for these ads to be more effective I need to give up some of my info. Same for Facebook or free web sites or mobile games. But the Rift is not free, neither are the games I play on it. All the while it provides a far more intricate way to learn what kind of person I am compared to just me clicking on various web links. This is a whole new way of behavioral profiling.

People are really not thinking this through. Some day we may plug VR directly into our brains. What then? You'll be fine with companies scanning your thoughts and dreams to monetize you as a consumer?

vannagirl
Consultant

pjenness said:

All those Oculus cameras are actually web cams , streaming to facebook. 😮

Pants back on people!!

Hahahha

Best response in this thread,

Everythnig we do is tracked in some way. As for facebook, millions use it everyday love or hate it, that is how it is i am not happy about it, especially when it is governments using it but does it stop me from using my credit card or supermarket loyalty card or enjoying youtube in bed??

Also, Why do people post in the threads of a company they hate so much that they will never buy their products??

Okay im of to apple to complain at them and tell them i will never buy an ipad, that will show them!!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Your phone does the same thing. The Vive does the same thing. 99% of the games you play, even offline single player games, do the same thing. They are sending data that helps them improve things - for example, I'd bet one of the things this is sending is how long each VR session is - if the majority of Rift owners only spend 10 minutes at a time in the Rift, they know something big is wrong that they have to deal with. You should do a Google search on "analytics", it will open your eyes. Did you know many games send their servers how long it took you to finish a level, how many times you died, how and where you died, how long you played before you shut the game down? They compile every little bit of data they can so that they can tweak the game to be better, fix problems. Big companies like Oculus do the same thing.

Note, this has NOTHING to do with Facebook - Oculus is using Facebook for their servers, because of course they are, they have access to one of the best, most reliable networks in the world. I would bet this forum is also being hosted on Facebook servers too, oh no!

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Note, this has NOTHING to do with Facebook

Right. Are you really that naive? Facebook makes most of their revenue from advertising. Do you think they bought Oculus for any other reason than that in the long run?

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Gigantoad said:

Note, this has NOTHING to do with Facebook

Right. Are you really that naive? Facebook makes most of their revenue from advertising. Do you think they bought Oculus for any other reason than that in the long run?

What advertising are you seeing? Sending analytics data isn't related to advertising at all. As I said, using Facebook's servers isn't due to anything related to Facebook's management, but the fact that Facebook has awesome, very reliable servers designed to handle tons of connections without problems, and Oculus has access to them. It's the same reason you see Microsoft products using Azure and Amazon producst using AWS - they have access to powerful free servers so they use those for everything. Like I said, I'm sure you'll find that this forum is hosted on Facebook's servers, the Oculus store is hosted on them, everything to do with online will be, not because of evil but because of the awesome free servers.

And yes, Facebook was clear to their investors about why they bought Oculus - because they wanted to create a service that would become the Steam of VR, and eventually create social networking services in VR. They also said they would keep a hands-off approach to Oculus for at least 3-5 years, letting Oculus run as a separate company but with the near-unlimited resources of Facebook at their disposal.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Sending analytics data isn't related to advertising at all. 

Of course it's related to advertising in the broader sense. Ads are there to sell products, so is analytics. I've worked as a web developer for years and had to insert countless little analytics snippets into code to track the various things interesting to the marketing department. Where do people click, do they leave the site in specific places, do they leave after they put something in the cart etc. in the end it all serves one purpose, optimize sales and maximize profits. Worth noting though that analytics track people as a whole, not create individual profiles. As such it's a lot less problematic in my book.

eventually create social networking services in VR
Mostly this. and how do you make money with social networks? Ads. Investors care about profit not catchphrases.  

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Gigantoad said:

Sending analytics data isn't related to advertising at all. 

Of course it's related to advertising in the broader sense. Ads are there to sell products, so is analytics. I've worked as a web developer for years and had to insert countless little analytics snippets into code to track the various things interesting to the marketing department. Where do people click, do they leave the site in specific places, do they leave after they put something in the cart etc. in the end it all serves one purpose, optimize sales and maximize profits. Worth noting though that analytics track people as a whole, not create individual profiles. As such it's a lot less problematic in my book.

So you are saying that the fact that analytics *can* be used for advertising, means they are beyond a doubt always used for advertising and cannot possibly be used in any other way? Huh. So what ads are you seeing on Oculus Rift that these analytics are for?

Gigantoad
Adventurer

So you are saying that the fact that analytics *can* be used for advertising, means they are beyond a doubt always used for advertising and cannot possibly be used in any other way? Huh. So what ads are you seeing on Oculus Rift that these analytics are for?

Nah, I guess what I meant to say was both advertising and analytics are for maximising profits. Of course analytics can be used to make a game better, but I think you're mostly in MMO territory where data is being analyzed to constantly balance gameplay and indeed find some bugs. I'm not aware this is used extensively in single player games outside of maybe beta phases.

Of course there are no ads yet but isn't it obvious that is where the whole thing will eventually go? And that everything you do in VR including where you look when will be analyzed and you'll be profiled to hell and back? Even now at the very begninning of VR they are establishing rules that will allow this. Read again http://uploadvr.com/facebook-oculus-privacy/

KBK
Protege

Maxxgold said:

Someone get @greenpile  a tinfoil hat.

Respect your privacy,and don't give it away. Taking it away, living in a observation society...is the cornerstone of fascism and communism (no difference between the two, in the final analysis)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Synthetic
Rising Star
Vr advertisements .... dont give them any ideas LOL... bloody need an adblocker for VR