cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for making me Facebooks BITCH

greenpile
Honored Guest
I remember a statement from the oculus devs after facebook bought their asses. It was like "We at oculus can't understand why the community is so against our new facebook partner"
Well, I will show you why. OVRServer_x64.exe is sending encrypted data to your new overlords.

Prove: https://i.imgur.com/HYF1Zve.png

Can't you understand that I do not want facebook to get anything from me? I don't even want to have my IP in their server logs. RESPECT MY PRIVACY!
199 REPLIES 199

KBK
Protege
History has shown, that like water seeking it's way downhill.. any hole or gap left for the possibility for malfeasance, WILL BE USED.

The gap and the hole was left in there, specifically placed in there, for a reason.

No trust. Never trust, always cover. As they say, trust, but check. Always check. Always put it in check as -if you don't, well, that is the core of how parasites operate. They work in the shady area of trust and potentials in intent and access.

The sleight of hand of forms of fascism and elite control, has to have room to operate. It requires trust and obeisance to contracts and agreements that are lopsided. It literally requires you to make a mistake, to misunderstand and incorrectly view some part of reality, so it can use that point and position-----as cover for acts of malfeasance that you would never agree to if you viewed the playing field correctly, with regard to holes, gaps, and potentials.

It's simple.... remove the hole. Leave no gaps, no holes, as that is where the parasites gather to get their meals and control.

Some of you talk of having nothing to hide.

Well, when you leave no place to hide, you leave no future for freedom or dissident. Basically, you willingly walk into a controlled prison. That you assent and directly collude with others to give yourself no options and no future.

The idea of assenting to, bowing to authority, wholly, means you bless yourself with no future but to be as a cow, a side of bacon, a manipulated and used commodity. It really is that correct and factual, and that simple. see it for what it is. Anyone who agrees to such agreements and stipulations is not a human they are a cow, a side of beef, a dead thing, with no life.

I feel that the agreement from Oculus has to be fundamentally changed and I expect it to be challenged in court as being ethically unsupportable, and incorrect.

They expect to be pushed back on, and have grabbed more than they should. They expect the legal challenge. They expect to potentially face lawsuits on the agreements and spend many millions in court costs.

The thing, the usage agreement.... was looked as a ledger book, and the profit of taking more than they are entitled to .......was found to be less than the court costs they might encounter, so they made a lopsided agreement, one which is outside of the bounds of ethics and even obvious legalities.

You are dealing with facebook, a bunch of fucking parasites.

The press, even the fanboy press for VR has noticed, and called it shady. Very shady. Very..... wrong.

Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

rakrul
Protege

Mradr said:
Everything else is a silly argument you ask me. You need a connection to get the store front - because how else would you be able to see the internet. You need to connect to a server for that to happen. Would you have been less upset knowing the DNS said, "happysmilesandfun.com" ? Would you even know? Would you really care then? People make up false information facts all the time on how networking works. I bet they didn't know coming to this forum they connected to a facebook server either. Shocker!

Rakrul, you already given that right up anyways by using Windows a long time ago. Hell even MAC has that same information that by using their products you given them right to basically spy on you when requested by the government. Oculus here isn't doing anything wrong - or hell base of what it does collect - ANYTHING wrong compare to those two big problem giants. Unless you are using a Linux base system right now (even though it doesn't work with the Rift) then you are kind of out of luck either way you look at it. This started WAY back in the Windows 95 days.

I didn't understand a word of your IP argument, it didn't make any sense at all.

First of all, lets be honest. The oculus is a fancy monitor. The monitor I use at work does not dial home 24/7 and send lots of metrics about my system and how I use it. Same thing with my mouse and keyboard. Neither should Oculus. I should have the ability to install the drivers so I can use it freely without it dialing home with all sorts of data. 

When I use the Oculus SERVICE, I obviously have to connect to their system and when I purchase something they are lawfully required to log it, but that is another discussion. Even though I would be fine with them gathering some telemetrics about my system and how I use it, if the intent was to improve their service and there was an option to opt out of it. 

What they're doing now is something completely else and very intrusive.

(And yes I know other companies and especially Win10 are bad and as said many times here already, that's no excuse for Oculus to go for the gold medal of privacy rape. Especially considering Facebook's participation of NSA's PRISM program. And if you're seriously comparing Win95 with the Oculus EULA you have no idea of what you're talking about.)

brievolz84
Expert Protege

dinoroger said:

For the longest time I would get underwear ads when surfing the internet. Only 4 hours after using Oculus 1.3 I am now getting blue boxer ads only now. Yes that is the only color and lower pants choice I make. I thought only Vive had a camera? How do they know?

It's because the tracking camera can see your pale legs..........put your pants back on Facebook knows!!!!!

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Gaze in horror upon the evil Facebook data that is being stolen from your computer! They are spying on everything! Your right to privacy is given up! They know all!

...or not...

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ddj1g/what_oculus_network_traffic_contains/
  • Logs if Oculus Home hits an Error
  • The amount of time it takes Oculus Home to open after telling it to start opening
  • Your minimum, maximum, and average frame rate
  • How long it takes to enter or exit a subsection (subsections include the home environment, setup, the grid room, safety warning, etc.)
  • The application that sent the analytics, the version of Oculus Home that sent it, the version of the Oculus Plugin that sent it.
  • How long it takes to close Oculus Home
  • How long you spent in Oculus Home total
  • Amount of memory usage (may only be when an error is sent)
  • What VR application you have open (if any) that was launched from Oculus Home
  • Oculus Waterfall (no clue what this means, but seems related to in app purchases)
  • When you start an in app purchase (I'm pretty sure an in app purchase means buying anything in the Oculus store, including games)
  • If you cancel an in app purchase
  • If you make an in app purchase
  • How much the in app purchase cost
  • If you failed to enter your pin correctly during an in app purchase
  • How much time you spent on each section of making an in app purchase
  • Direct Display capability.
  • CPU Information (Manufacturer, Model, Cores and Clock Speed).
  • Video Card Information (Manufacturer, Model and VRAM).
  • Operating System Version.
  • USB Controller Driver Version and hardware information.
  • Unique Machine Identifier.
  • Timestamp.

So what about this?

• Information about your physical movements and dimensions when you use a virtual reality headset.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Nope, that's not included. The data is from a guy who was going through the Oculus Home source code and seeing what data it was trying to send. And some more data is from another guy who also used some web-debugging to read packets.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Nope, that's not included. The data is from a guy who was going through the Oculus Home source code and seeing what data it was trying to send. And some more data is from another guy who also used some web-debugging to read packets.

Yes of course, but why do they put it in the TOS? Because they're not gonna use it? IMO this is for future social networking stuff.

wickfut
Expert Protege
So people have already supplied facebook with their full name, address, contact numbers and bank/paypal info and yet they're worried about some small packets of data being used against them? ha ha 

KBK
Protege
I have not supplied Facebook with anything. All my relatives and friends, etc, are explicitly forbidden to use my name, data, or likeness in anything associated with Facebook.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Gigantoad said:

Yes of course, but why do they put it in the TOS? Because they're not gonna use it? IMO this is for future social networking stuff.

It doesn't matter what they *could* do - they *could* do anything. This thread was a complaint about what Oculus *is* doing right now. The Redditor I linked to proved that they are doing nothing shifty or out of the ordinary.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Gigantoad said:

It doesn't matter what they *could* do - they *could* do anything. This thread was a complaint about what Oculus *is* doing right now. The Redditor I linked to proved that they are doing nothing shifty or out of the ordinary.

Fair enough. Although surely you agree that writing something like that in your TOS is a little more than just a vague possibility of things to come. What would your reaction be if they did record your every move in VR? Just out of curiosity.