cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for making me Facebooks BITCH

greenpile
Honored Guest
I remember a statement from the oculus devs after facebook bought their asses. It was like "We at oculus can't understand why the community is so against our new facebook partner"
Well, I will show you why. OVRServer_x64.exe is sending encrypted data to your new overlords.

Prove: https://i.imgur.com/HYF1Zve.png

Can't you understand that I do not want facebook to get anything from me? I don't even want to have my IP in their server logs. RESPECT MY PRIVACY!
199 REPLIES 199

motorsep
Rising Star

gravity360
Protege
Yeah and at anytime they can give your creation away without compensation.  For instance XBL Gold service you receive two free games a month.  Oculus could offer this very same package (note, charging the user this annual fee), distribute the publish content.   The distribution agreement doesn't dispute this anywhere.

Now if we want to dig into the "DISTRIBUTION" Agreement you can see clearly how they gouge developers who distribute their creations via the Oculus "Store".  30% on all transactions!  Dude, that's a fucking rip off as well.  That's giving away 30% of what a company is worth, by simply having a link and file storage for the software?  Ridiculous!  That's some EA business model shit right there.   Once again Motorsep, it's all right there on Oculus's site.

30% to a company who doesn't offer support to the end user buying the software other than instructions on how to download and possibly handle refunds?  Seriously there's hidden cost that are not made apparent either.  For example in the "Distribution Agreement" (as you've so clearly needed to make reference to) has it tucked away in section 3-G.

"Oculus will report revenues generated by your Products on a net
basis only, after deducting the Transaction Fee and any applicable
taxes
, currency or bandwidth charges, or other reasonable related
expenses
."

Lets move on further down to section 6-C.

"You grant to Oculus a nonexclusive, worldwide, and royalty-free license
to: copy, perform, display, and use the Products for administrative and
demonstration purposes in connection with the operation and marketing of
the Store and to use the Products to make improvements to the Store,
Rift, and any other Oculus products and services."

DrOculus
Adventurer
I see you have gone off topic totally, you are going into software distribution which has nothing at all to do with privacy and the automatic collection of data and the always on connection to Oculus/Facebook...and the sharing of user data

motorsep
Rising Star
@gravity360 Are you f@cking dumb?! 30% is what every distributor in the world charges. Some charge even more. Seeing you writing this nonsense makes this "conversation" over and done.

brievolz84
Expert Protege

motorsep said:

motorsep said:

The words Software is there. Which is what apps/games are.

Well unless someone clarifies what "software" is this and everything attached to it's meaning is pure assumption and hyperbole 😉

Clearly a user can not put any software on Oculus Store unless user is a developer who is getting his app/game published.

What I mean is what is "software" when tied to user content.  Does software mean: games you develop; programs you use;  or is it simply anything tied to oculus service?

Jkiv
Explorer
My objection has nothing to do with Tracking or Privacy. It has everything to do with my personal choice. I choose not to use Facebook. I don't want it taking up my phones limited storage space, etc.  When I choose to do business with Oculus, I do not want them to force me to do business with ANY other vendor.   I can't install Oculus software nor Updates without first installing Facebook.  That is like my Auto Company telling me what gas station I have to use.  It is BS and it makes me regret doing business with Oculus.  Add this nonsense to the fact that ALL the software must be installed on the phones limited internal memory (S7 - 32GB) and I can guarantee that I won't be buying any more of their software and I will be looking to rid myself of Oculus in the very near future.

motorsep
Rising Star
I don't have Facebook enabled on my S6 (disabled it, since it can't be removed).

Don't install it ALL. You guys never had limited storage on your PCs? What time do you come from?! o.O

Install something, play/experience, remove if not using it. You know, you don't have to keep everything installed on your phone  :s

Synthetic
Rising Star
even if you dont use facebook they still have a profile on you, you still have profiles elsewhere as well...

and it doesnt scan disks... its just the running processes get sent

brievolz84
Expert Protege

Synthetic said:

and it doesnt scan disks... its just the running processes get sent

Seems like that is for diagnostics if something crashes or something like that.