cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Cable That Works For Extending Rift S?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been wanting to extend the cables for my Rift S.  I was able to do it fairly easily with my previous Rift headset.  I got the DisplayPort extension to work, but I can't seem to get the USB cable extension working.  I tried a simple 10 foot USB 3.0 cable extension and it was spotty, losing signal occasionally and not tracking correctly.  I also tried an active 15 foot USB 3.0 cable and that didn't work at all for some reason.  I can't seem to find any active 10 foot USB 3.0 cables.  Has anyone had luck extending their USB cable on the Rift S and can you tell me what cable you used specifically with a link?  I would like to hear from anyone who has done this and what they used, assuming it worked.
I was thinking of trying a 6 foot cable, but I've spent too much already to just keep adding cables to the drawer that may never see any actual use.
6 REPLIES 6

datrandomduggy
Explorer
i haven't done this myself but i heard that in order to get it working you need a active usb 3.0

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
This Works for me!
DP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D949F59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JFLHT81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB3
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQ88CE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are active extensions, so boost the signal to and from the HMD.

Edit:-
FWIW these are the exact ones I bought, so I know they work (for me at least) YMMV.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

McNutts
Adventurer
(DOES NOT WORK WITH THE RIFT S)People love this USB 3.0 extender(DOES NOT WORK WITH THE RIFT S): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have personally used it with my Oculus Quest with the Oculus Link feature using the extender and a 10' USB-A to USB-C cable. It worked great when I was using the Oculus Link feature. I'll connect my Rift S up using the extender cable and report back if it works or not.

UPDATE: So I just tried it out and it does not work for me. While using the extension cable I linked the light between the lenses on the Rift S is orange. I put the Rift S on my head anyway to see if it worked and nothing. When I bypass the extension cable and plug my Rift S back into a USB port on my motherboard it works again and the light between the lenses turn white like always. I'm assuming that the Rift S is getting the power it requires to work from the USB cable and some how it's not supplying enough power. The extender and an A-C USB cable got a 1.9Gbs in the Oculus Quest bandwidth test so it should have the required bandwidth.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index

bitzie
Expert Protege
I use a powered USB hub and a standard, non-active cable. Works perfectly. The same goes for my DP Cable: standard, non-active cable with a powered repeater at the end.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

McNutts said:

(DOES NOT WORK WITH THE RIFT S)People love this USB 3.0 extender(DOES NOT WORK WITH THE RIFT S): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have personally used it with my Oculus Quest with the Oculus Link feature using the extender and a 10' USB-A to USB-C cable. It worked great when I was using the Oculus Link feature. I'll connect my Rift S up using the extender cable and report back if it works or not.

UPDATE: So I just tried it out and it does not work for me. While using the extension cable I linked the light between the lenses on the Rift S is orange. I put the Rift S on my head anyway to see if it worked and nothing. When I bypass the extension cable and plug my Rift S back into a USB port on my motherboard it works again and the light between the lenses turn white like always. I'm assuming that the Rift S is getting the power it requires to work from the USB cable and some how it's not supplying enough power. The extender and an A-C USB cable got a 1.9Gbs in the Oculus Quest bandwidth test so it should have the required bandwidth.

Yeah I don't know about that one.  I know I tried quite a few before I got a combination that worked.  Same with the Quest.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable
alright, thanks to everyone who posted.  I'm still interested in anyone else who has had luck with this.