cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty support for offshore islands.

Mr_BStard
Honored Guest
I had an Oculus Rift purchased for my birthday this year through Amazon.  Thing had been going well until one of my sensors decided to shuffle of it's mortal coil and stop being detected.  So I dutifully logged a ticket with Oculus support and followed the instructions for getting logs etc.  I believe it was then decided to replace said sensor but things came to a screeching halt when I gave my address in the Channel Islands.  I was told that Oculus won't ship to the Channel Islands (we have DHL here and Oculus use them as one of their shipping agents!).  I cannot use a UK address as the people I know there work during the day, so any delivery will bounce as there won't be anyone to sign for parcels.

The Oculus was purchased at the time through a friend with an Amazon Prime account but the warranty is with Oculus.  Had they known that the warranty would not be honoured for the Bailiwick of Guernsey/Jersey the Oculus Rift would not have been bought.  My son also has a Rift so he loses out too.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.  I now have an expensive paperweight that I cannot get warranty support for.  I shouldn't need to buy another sensor for an obvious warranty issue.  So if you live on any of the above islands, think twice before buying any Oculus equipment - warranty isn't covered here.

This isn't a complaint against the Tech support staff, they've gone as far as they can, but my gripe is with the senseless rule that the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are persona non gratis as far as warranty is concerned.

Thanks,

Mr_B
17 REPLIES 17

Mr_BStard
Honored Guest
That's very kind of you but I still need to see where this ends up with support, plus I don't know how much the replacement item weighs.  I have an open ticket but I'm kind of fighting for any channel islander that purchased a Rift from Amazon (not that I've been asked to do so by any of the 163,000 channel islanders that may have Oculus kit) of which I'm sure there are a few lol.  My boss has since said that he could receive a parcel but it's the principal of it.  Sorry if I'm coming across as a whingey git...………..

LZoltowski
Champion
No not at all and I understand your frustration. In any case, I am happy to help if you need it.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

ragenrok
Protege
Look up mail forwarding services in your country. For example I live in Canada but there are still companies that will only ship to the US. There is a business in my city that you pay them a fee and they give you a US based mailing address that they own, you have the product shipped to that address and they import it to Canada for me and I just pick it up from them.

I'd check around for a local equivalent for your area, might be your solution 😉

EDIT: Heres one the looks like it would work for you, if not this one then the same idea.
https://www.ship2me.co.uk/

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Mr_BStard said:

I shouldn't need to spend money on getting it shipped to me from the UK when all Oculus needs to do is ship it direct via DHL. 

It's not likely that simple.  Oculus don't ship anything to people.   They use local freight forwarders in each region, those freight forwarders would have contracts with specific carriers in those regions with specific conditions.   If they wanted to use a different carrier it could be months of negotiations and legal costs to sign a new contract, assuming there isn't some exclusivity clause in the contracts with their current carriers.

Mr_BStard
Honored Guest
Well, looks like my fight to get a warranty replacement direct to the islands is lost (no surprises there). I do feel sorry for any Islander that has new Oculus kit as they will be refused warranty support, unless they have a proxy address in the UK they can use.  Not all Islanders have that option though.  I know that the Rift has been sold in the Channel Islands so I'm going to find out what happens to those customers that purchased locally when things break down (out of morbid interest lol).  In the mean time my managing director said he is willing to receive a delivery as he lives in the UK and will bring it to me here but only Saturday afternoons.  Hopefully Oculus can at least do an approximate timed delivery.  If not, last resort is to try Amazon......

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Mr_BStard said:

I know that the Rift has been sold in the Channel Islands so I'm going to find out what happens to those customers that purchased locally when things break down (out of morbid interest lol). 

Would the Channel Islands be covered by the UK consumer rights laws?  Looks like they're the very similar to NZ laws(Not surprising) and it looks like it says that the retailer must handle any warranty claims, not the manufacturer.

Mr_BStard
Honored Guest
If Oculus doesn't accept my boss's UK address I may try Amazon....

Mr_BStard
Honored Guest
Right, now I'm more than disappointed - I'm angry.  Just because I live in the Channel Islands Oculus can refuse to warranty support my device.  I understand that because of whatever reason they can't/won't/don't SELL direct to offshore areas.  This is a matter of support.  My device has failed.  I now can't get the replacement sensor sent to my MD's home address as he can only receive a delivery on a Saturday afternoon and Oculus say that they cannot arrange a date and time for delivery.  Amazon will not do anything as the returns window is closed. 

I feel totally let down - unless Oculus will deliver to a forwarding company I have to replace a warranty failure out of my own pocket as suggested by Oculus support.  Oculus through Amazon took my money for this device but is now giving me no warranty?  I still think the Oculus Rift is a great device, but will not buy again because of this experience.