cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well Oculus Connect 6 just took a crap on Rift S

Soulless512
Expert Protege
Seems Oculus is focusing way more on quest and just made rift s obsolete with the new oculus link that allows quest to connect to pc and play rift games
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
And a huge dump on all the consumers like me that just bought a rift S. I really could have used that ipd adjustment with my ipd at 69 and oled but I just gave in and bought the rift S for dirt rally 2.0 and other Sims 2 months ago. Not sure how much worse 72hz would really be than 80 but I certainly would have waited to try it out if I knew plus the value of having the wireless option for other games would have been huge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And a huge dump on all the consumers like me that just bought a rift S. I really could have used that ipd adjustment with my ipd at 69 and oled but I just gave in and bought the rift S for dirt rally 2.0 and other Sims 2 months ago. Not sure how much worse 72hz would really be than 80 but I certainly would have waited to try it out if I knew plus the value of having the wireless option for other games would have been huge.

72Hz runs fine using Virtual Desktop/ALVR and SteamVR. You get a slight hiccup here and there, but for the most part, it's pretty smooth. I would have preferred an Oculus app to do it wirelessly over 5HGz wifi, but the usb-c cable will eliminate any latency issues that wifi has. I hope they still release an app though to keep the Quest completely wireless.

motorsep
Rising Star
I don't see it as huge dump, since Rift is getting 3-AAA games, two of which are coming out in the next 2 month.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This is not a 1-day event. A bit of premature hyperbole to say that Oculus is taking a dump on the Rift-S. The millions of dollars they have spent to support the Rift and its platform are hardly a "dump."

There is no denying that Quest is getting more traction, but that is because it is selling so well and the tech is appealing to more than just high-end enthusiasts. You can't fault a company for following the profit and revenue.

Lets wait until the entire conference is over before making observations about potential poop.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel kindof cheated. I really hope they can make the hand tracking work in the S, if they don´t this could probably be the electronic device with the shortest life ever.

Theguru43
Explorer
The question is I have the original rift is it worth jumping to the quest in November?? Will all games work including steamVR? Will the quality be the better, same, or worse??

motorsep
Rising Star

Theguru43 said:

The question is I have the original rift is it worth jumping to the quest in November?? Will all games work including steamVR? Will the quality be the better, same, or worse??

Wait to see quality and latency of Quest connected to PC with Link, then decide.

Kapt-Krunch
Protege
Concerning for sure, but I will wait till tomorrow to lose my mind. Thanks to Oculus for putting on a fast paced and interesting Connect!
I7-9700k - 32 GB Corsair Pro - RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra - Samsung Evo SSD - Oculus Rift S

I like pinacoladas and getting caught in the rain!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Chass32 said:

I feel kindof cheated. I really hope they can make the hand tracking work in the S, if they don´t this could probably be the electronic device with the shortest life ever.

I dunno, the Pimax 8K and 5K were practically dead in the water. Hard to beat that timeline!