cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was the Rift S's Sound Massively Downgraded ?

Dicehunter
Protege
So I've had a chance to try the Rift S today and visually it's a huge upgrade over the CV1, But the sound is terrible, Like something you'd get from a cheap dollar/pound store, I've never heard something so cheap and nasty in my life.

What was the thought process behind massively downgrading the sound from the excellent sound the CV1 had down to the Rift S bargain basement version ?
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have a CV1, but if you go into sound control panel, Rift S, Properties, Enhancements, turn on Headphone Virtualization and Loudness Equalization, it makes a lot better.

falken76
Expert Consultant

skunky666 said:

I don't have a CV1, but if you go into sound control panel, Rift S, Properties, Enhancements, turn on Headphone Virtualization and Loudness Equalization, it makes a lot better.

What are the Rift S speakers like?  Are they good quality or are they like cheap dollar store speakers?  I'd just use the PC sound, turn off Rift S audio in control panel and have Oculus use your computer speakers for sound output.  (This kind of sucks for communication, your friends will hear the feedback from your speakers.  I had no choice, all my CV1's I've bought lost their sound)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't say it's top notch, but with those settings turned on it sounds a lot fuller, I turn it up to about 55-65, the Mrs don't complain about the noise from the down firing speakers, only about me swearing at dirt rally.

Dicehunter
Protege

falken76 said:

What are the Rift S speakers like?  Are they good quality or are they like cheap dollar store speakers?  I'd just use the PC sound, turn off Rift S audio in control panel and have Oculus use your computer speakers for sound output.  (This kind of sucks for communication, your friends will hear the feedback from your speakers.  I had no choice, all my CV1's I've bought lost their sound)

The Rift S speakers are like something you would get from one of those cheap $1 stores, Huge downgrade from the CV1.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

falken76 said:

The Rift S speakers are like something you would get from one of those cheap $1 stores, Huge downgrade from the CV1.

I guess it's all about economy - and maybe a little bit of comfort. Persons with long curly hair may find Rift-S easier to use, because their hair won't get tangled up in the headphones anymore. And for Oculus less movement and reduced faulty headphones, which may include not having to repair a full hmd, probably result in increased profits. Only problem with that approach is the very bad sound, but stock holders may not care much about such minor issues...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh this is a chat about the cheap shit sound, not about trying to make it better, I see now.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The price was the thought process, but you can get some PS -VR heaphones that fit

RuneSR2 said:

falken76 said:

I guess it's all about economy - and maybe a little bit of comfort. Persons with long curly hair may find Rift-S easier to use, because their hair won't get tangled up in the headphones anymore. And for Oculus less movement and reduced faulty headphones, which may include not having to repair a full hmd, probably result in increased profits. Only problem with that approach is the very bad sound, but stock holders may not care much about such minor issues...

Erm - How does having long curly hair stop you getting your hair tangled in the speakers 😄
I've just ordered a curly wig from amazon to see if it helps.
9128fdpebky7.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

The price was the thought process, but you can get some PS -VR heaphones that fit

RuneSR2 said:

falken76 said:

Erm - How does having long curly hair stop you getting your hair tangled in the speakers 😄
I've just ordered a curly wig from amazon to see if it helps.
9128fdpebky7.jpg

Fookin hell ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus added an audio jack to the Rift S headset for a reason I reckon.
Yes the built in audio strap is crap if one cares anything about sound. I knew this going in based on what I had read, so got a set of earbuds for myself as I really prefer them anyway. And the sound is fantastic in them.

So if one wants good audio, will need earbuds or headphones to use with Rift S. I am glad my preference is earbuds as I would not be crazy about putting on something else on my head.

And of course alternatively as previously mentioned, direct the sound to the PC speakers.