cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Define "crash". Also could you provide some system specs... laptop/desktop/brands...

Darrenteed
Explorer
The app closes and the headset reboots
I am on a Desktop
Windows 10 - 64 bit
I am in Microsoft's Insider Program though
I am running a GTX 1080
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
MAXIMUS IX HERO Mother Board
RAM 16.0 GB

If I look at my rift s in the Oculus software it says my 3.0 drivers need to be updated but I have already done that through device manager and I can't find anywhere to download the drivers as I don't think they exist

sraura
Heroic Explorer
You should have both asmedia 3.1 gen2 (red) and intel 3.0 (blue) usb ports on the back panel of your computer. Try the intel ones (or vice versa).
Also what kind of power supply you have and how old it is (roughly)?

Darrenteed
Explorer
It is a NZXT, its Maybe 3 years old. Probably less. 
I have tried every USB port and have updated all of the drivers. I installed Intel's management software and updated everything as well

sraura
Heroic Explorer
It's not the 500W one ?

Darrenteed
Explorer
It says HX 850 on the back

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Well model would say that it is Corsair, but good quality PSU anyways. Should not give you any issues.
Have you opted to public test channel on oculus settings? That should install new firmware to rift. Also that will most likely fix the usb driver issue. Also those blue intel ports generally seem to have less issues than the asmedia ones, so probably good idea to check/switch to them b4 proceeding with anything else.

Darrenteed
Explorer
I have opted in, and I am definitely using the blue USB 3.0 ports. I am rolling back windows updates now to see if that fixes anything.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
if that doesn't help, gather some logs and see what they have to say (or send em to oculus support).