cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v18 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 6/5/2020: With the latest PTC update, we have introduced a fix for the SteamVR tracking bug on Rift that some users have reported here on the forums. Please note, however, we are aware that some Quest + Link users may experience some odd tracking behavior if they have mismatched software builds (i.e. V17 on Quest, and V18 on the desktop software). If you experience any unexpected behavior using Link while on the v18 PTC, it is recommended that you opt out of PTC to get back to v17 until the v18 software update has been rolled out to your Quest headset later this month. Thanks!

---

Oculus Link

• Improved translation accuracy on predicted-poses. This improves the visual stability of up-close content under fast head motion.
  • Fixed an issue where a gamepad could not be paired if only Quest was paired with the Oculus desktop app.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Quest from being detected by a PC event though it’s plugged into a compatible port. 
66 REPLIES 66

RattyUK
Trustee

dburne said:

No problem on my end with latest V18, everything working great so far.

Same here, did a couple of hours of play following the latest patch without any issues apart from touch batteries going flat - but they were due to do so...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Zoralback
Explorer
At least it's good to hear the patch is working on some systems

here's more footage of the behavior of my touch controllers on v18 update

streamable.com/qqnnsw

Have no idea where this could come from,since it's only since this update that it happens,i only have a Rift S,no quest,no link, having my tracking break because of an update unrelated to the Rift S seems odd 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure when this started but seems if ASW is left on auto and you run in to parts where the PC cant hold 80FPS instead of dropping to 40 AWS it seems to try to hold 67 ish FPS, this causes massive visual stuttering (RiftS).

Anyone else notice this? Became an issue in Assetto Corsa Competizione in my last endurance race that had lots of cars entered, couldnt hold 80 but seemed to try to do mid/high 60's and stuttered hard. Had to force 40FPS ASW on to get a playable experience

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure when this started but seems if ASW is left on auto and you run in to parts where the PC cant hold 80FPS instead of dropping to 40 AWS it seems to try to hold 67 ish FPS, this causes massive visual stuttering (RiftS).

Yes! Mine started doing this immediately after an update all the way back in December. It drops to exactly 67. I have seen other people report this exact behavior as well.

I don't know about you but ASW is kicking in like this at set intervals in addition to when you would normally expect it to. For example, it does it in an empty Oculus Home as I just pivot back and forth. I'm on a 2080TI and even in the most demanding games my CPU and GPU overhead never get lower than 50%. Turning ASW to off or hold 40 helps some but it never goes away. Ironically the smoothest playback is through SteamVR, which is crazy. I have been sending logs and video captures to my support tech for months now and he stated that the devs believe they have located the problem and that it would be fixed in the "next update or a hotfix sooner." Well that was several months and several driver releases ago. All total I'm going on about 6 1/2 months with a practically unplayable Rift S.

SergeMeister1234, can you try to replicate this in Oculus Home as well? Hold both of your hands out in front of you. Rotate your body all the way left and right. At least once ever couple rotations it drops to 67 and stutters.

ibrahooma95
Honored Guest
 🙂 

morphee7
Expert Protege

Anyone else notice this? Became an issue in Assetto Corsa Competizione in my last endurance race that had lots of cars entered, couldnt hold 80 but seemed to try to do mid/high 60's and stuttered hard. Had to force 40FPS ASW on to get a playable experience

ive had this that long i cant remember how long ago, i just turn on ASW @45fps (40 with our rift s) with any acc or any other sim and run higher graphics settings and all seems fine with 30 - 50 cars in the server and dont let them blsme your hardware because im running a 2080ti and a R7 2700x on water
its not helping me with trying not to be slow though lol

MysticNinjaSoul
Explorer
My issue that I have been having lately and is irritating the piss out of me. The headset will not turn on, I will be in the middle of a game and controllers will get stuck floating in air and I cannot fix it. These are issues that have plagued this stupid thing since it released, I am at the point where I think the devs are purposely attempting to tank the rift-s in hopes that we will buy the quest instead.

Xarstealth
Protege

My issue that I have been having lately and is irritating the piss out of me. The headset will not turn on, I will be in the middle of a game and controllers will get stuck floating in air and I cannot fix it. These are issues that have plagued this stupid thing since it released, I am at the point where I think the devs are purposely attempting to tank the rift-s in hopes that we will buy the quest instead.

they just dont care rift\rift s and every driver and sw update is focalised to let link and quest work better on pc...
if meanwhile they also broke rift and rift s....who cares! "they dont buy enough app on oculus store, we already sold theme a 500 € device and we can avoid laws updating the same app for both device"

they already know that all of us who have problems (and we are a big part of the total suppose 30\40% never had any issue) will never buy another oculus device because we already experimented the Facebook style in caring customers, they focus on new customers that will arrive with quest 2 and Horizon next year so...Marketing 360° on quest only

btw its already a month that they dont sell anymore connection cable for rift s...

Dakiller1009
Explorer
Just had another software update on the ptc build. think ah yeah I'll look onto the forum to see if there is any updated patch notes. Why do i even bother, I have had this for nearly a year and the problems with communication and just something simple like patch notes not being communicated is ridiculous.

collinrs
Honored Guest
Latest update seems to have made HL:Alyx reallllllly jittery for me. First time experiencing nausea from that game on my shortest play session yet. Playing on an R9 390, which again has been totally fine up until the latest PTC push.