cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone interested in those new laptops with 10-series graphics cards?

KennyJennings
Protege
There's plenty more articles and videos about these, but this is the one I saw: http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-1060-mobile-pascal-hands-on-vr-virtual-reality/?utm_sou...
I really want to get one so I can use my rift somewhere besides my own home/room without having to move my PC. I was also wondering if it would be possible to use one of these systems as a VR backpack system, seeing as they're powerful enough and pretty light. So, anyone else interested?
11 REPLIES 11

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
It's great that you can pack so much GPU power into a laptop now! I've been looking at reviews but I've not seen any mention of running them in closed mode - some laptops will overheat due to poor design choices when closed, and it'll be vital for a backpack VR system to be able to.

I kind of cheated and built my VR PC into a briefcase sized case with a carry handle. Still mains powered of course, but easy to drag around as a demo system (Silverstone ML-08).

noxo
Explorer
Yeah, I got yesterday shiny new MSI GE72VR with 1060 to replace my MSI GT72 with 970m. I did quick test yesterday, with ADR1FT and it ran butter smooth with this laptop and DK2.. very happy with my new portable VR system 🙂

zboson
Superstar

noxo said:

Yeah, I got yesterday shiny new MSI GE72VR with 1060 to replace my MSI GT72 with 970m. I did quick test yesterday, with ADR1FT and it ran butter smooth with this laptop and DK2.. very happy with my new portable VR system 🙂

I got a MSI with a 980M and it runs great with my CV1.  It's a work laptop that I probably have to give back.  I'm thinking of getting a MSI with a 1060 though.  I have been more disappointing with my 980M ASUS so I am more likely to go with MSI.  Why are you still using a DK2?

I am going to wait a bit until more 1060 laptops comeout.  I think Razor has a good one.  I want to see reviews.  A laptop backpack would be quite cool.  Would help mitigate the problem of playing games standing up and having the cord wrap around me.

EliteSPA
Superstar
I recomend to get the one with the 1070, 1060 is slow for my taste. If you have the money ofc. Dont forget the dk2 runs @ 75 fps.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

KennyJennings
Protege
I think I might save up some money and get one of the Razer laptops with a 1060 depending on how good they turn out to be

vannagirl
Consultant
have been burnt on op lappys,  got a clevo 680 sli when it was the big thing, did not last 3 years, replaced one card to nearly 450 and now the other card died like 4 weeks ago.

great idea  but when you have spent 2.3k on a top of the line and it did not last i think desktop is the only way to go now
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

zboson
Superstar
I have been using my MSI 980M laptop with no problems for about a year, first with the DK2 and now with the CV1.  For work I plan to upgrade to a 1080 laptop and either a 1060 or 1070 for personal use.

GoesTo11
Protege
I'm going to need to get a new VR capable laptop in the next month or so.  I've been looking at the 1070 equipped ones.  I was thinking of getting one of the MSI ones but it sounds like they may have some issues.  I'm not sure which one to get now.

thealgorithm
Protege
Also the Geforce 10 series cards on the laptops should give near or enough the performance according to the model (Unlike the geforce M series e.g 980m) which is usually equivelant to the desktop version lower e.g 970