cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bisphenol A

ClassicGamerNL
Level 5
I don’t want to be a whiner, but can anyone confirm that the Oculus Rift is free of Bisphenol A? Many foams and plastics make use of this substance, but it is heavy carcinogenic and harmful to an unborn baby. :roll: Since I'm wearing it day and night and will give demos with it I think it's important to know.

"Bisphenol A, often known as BPA is a chemical found in hard plastics and the coatings of food and drinks cans which can behave in a similar way to estrogen and other hormones in the human body. BPA is used to make many products, including water bottles, baby bottles, dental fillings and sealants, dental devices, medical devices, eyeglass lenses, DVDs and CDs, household electronic and sports equipment. BPA can also be found in epoxy resins which is used as coatings inside food and drinks cans.

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor - a substance which interferes with the production, secretion, transport, action, function and elimination of natural hormones. BPA can imitate our body's own hormones in a way that could be hazardous for health. Babies and young children are said to be especially sensitive to the effects of BPA."
We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.
6 REPLIES 6

ThomasHo
Level 2
I hope someday these questions get more important to companies.
I'm still waiting for an answer too.. https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30176
Greetings, Thomas Game Engineering student from Germany ----------------------------------- DK2 / GearVR / GeForce GTX 970, i7 4790K prordered Rift / Vive

ClassicGamerNL
Level 5

I think the crew
is pretty close to the Chinese factory. I don´t think Palmer and the team are
the guys who do slavery.  😉 

8xlrzpyoii5g.jpg

polynatic
Level 2
It is recommended that you do not eat the rift.

dragoonjefy
Level 2
BPA does not cause any risk by 'touch' or skin transfer.  While I appreciate your 'concern' for your health and that of any unborn children, I would also assume you read up on it's risks and ability to be absorbed.  Most humans would ingest BPA through water bottles that have been treated at high temperatures (dishwasher / microwave), acidic drinks in them, or abrasive chemicals used to clean them, this could cause the BPA coating used in some of these bottles to be ingestible.  Alternatively, some canned food products use BPA as a lining to protect it's contents from touching bare metal, and it could leech into the food product itself.

Long story short, even if the RIFT itself WERE made of BPA, as long as you avoided putting your favorite coffee into it, microwaving it, then sipping it's hot, sweet, contents, you would be absolutely safe.

VizionVR
Level 8
"Do not taunt HappyFunBall."
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

ClassicGamerNL
Level 5

BPA does not cause any risk by 'touch' or skin transfer.  While I appreciate your 'concern' for your health and that of any unborn children, I would also assume you read up on it's risks and ability to be absorbed.  Most humans would ingest BPA through water bottles that have been treated at high temperatures (dishwasher / microwave), acidic drinks in them, or abrasive chemicals used to clean them, this could cause the BPA coating used in some of these bottles to be ingestible.  Alternatively, some canned food products use BPA as a lining to protect it's contents from touching bare metal, and it could leech into the food product itself.

Long story short, even if the RIFT itself WERE made of BPA, as long as you avoided putting your favorite coffee into it, microwaving it, then sipping it's hot, sweet, contents, you would be absolutely safe.

Thanks, I didn't know that.. In that case I won't lick my Rift or use it as a coffee cup 😉