cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 8K Head-Mounted Display Launched

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Pimax 8K is the world's first 8K resolution VR headset, attracted a lot of media attention at IFA.
Unprecedented clarity, 200 ° wide viewing angle to bring the border
immersive experience, independent research and development of
sub-millimeter-level spatial positioning and interaction system.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
29 REPLIES 29

PiMaxVR_com
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

There is also the issue that the StarVR has problems in its manufacturer that Pimax can sidestep.

Thank you for pointing out our ability to deliver kevinw729.  Here is some info you may wish to share on our diplays.

"We use customized low persistence liquid (CLPL) display. CLPL is a new patented display tech we developed with our partner for VR specifically. CLPL Display featured with less liquid respond time and higher refresh rate. We have completely eliminated ghosting and improved brightness with the CLPL display. CLPL tech is on the same level with OLED in VR era. There are only minor differences in color contrast/temperature between CLPL and OLED, also, CLPL can reach higher PPI / PPD with the same cost. Our founders have over 20 years R&D experience in display era, including many years in VR. Some of the core team members come from display industry and maintain close relationships with display suppliers. That's also one of the reasons why we care about visual so much."

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

PiMaxVR.com said:
Thank you for pointing out our ability to deliver kevinw729. 

Thanks for the shout back.

Really want to start seeing the production prototype so we can help direct some of the options for you looking beyond consumer application. We have a lot of clients that need a new headset system that is not governed by outdated or restricted thinking.

Would be interested to hear your plans for dealing with the Out-of-Home entertainment sector?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Atmos73 said:

I'm really looking forward to what Pimax can do. Thanks for posting.
Pimax are making all the right moves so far.

Our pleasure - the best thing about the OVR forum is that it is built on a common application of the opportunity that the VR community first invested in with the Oculus Kickstarter. Whatever has changed or who ever tries to turn this into about being about them, the VR community will always find its level (and welcoming new developers is just part of that).

As a consultant you will understand that I have to take a long view, though Pimax proposes a solid opportunity, we have to look at their previous work, and also that they are depending on this project as a KS - which brings its own issues, as we all know too well.

One of the most interesting aspects of the Pimax system is how many traditional Rift supporters seem excited by this platform - while OVR still thinks that they can get away with a delay till 2019 for the CV2! Depending so much of mobileVR to help pull OVR back into the mainstream may be FB's last (biggest) mistake with this investment.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Atmos73 said:

I'm suprised Oculus are so lacksdaisicle too. Pimax could throw a major spanner in the works here. Not only will they have both 5 and 8k headsets out by February but they could see another native 8k headset to coincide with Rift 2 by 2019.

From what we are hearing on the grapevine about OC4 - it would seem that the new FB management withing the operation have focused on "standalone" and mobileVR for the foreseeable future. Seems the "surprises" with the way the PC headset was deployed, and the issues experience means that though still invested, the key focus for the current business is the mobileVR approach. 

I think the rise of interest in Daydream from Samsung has focused a lot of minds within FB - and the inroads made by MS with Windows MR means that a new CV2 will be father off than even previously alluded too.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
call me a pedant but.......... since when was the pimax 8k, well, 8k?

Now dont get me wrong i am interested in it, esp if they have fixed the ghosting of the 4k (once you go low persistance like the cv1, vive or even the dk2 i think i would find it hard to go back) (note i have not tried the pimax 4k its just what i have been told by those who have)

i do think it looks cool and all, and a big step up from the vive or rift.....
but isnt 8k 7680×4320, where as the pimax would be 2x 3840×2160 (so half the vertical resolution as 8k)

I just dislike confusing marketing that is all...

(but then equally I argued the same about 4K... I thought rebranding 2160P as 4K was a cheap marketing tactic, would people really have had a problem with it being 2K.. or just 2160P which is ... what it is!!!  and keeping same naming standards as it has always been (ie quoting the vertical))

pedant mode off!. 😉

edit... wow frak me that is a BIG yellow smiley staring back at me.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

@bigmike20vt  you are a pendant.

i have been called worse. 😄

have you signed up to the pimax KSer yet? I am guessing you will need to buy a new light house system as your 1x version wont work will it?  (a shame as my 1st thought was this would make the perfect upgrade path for vive users but TBH it wont be any easier for you to jump ship from the vive as it would for me to jump from the rift. (or am i mistaken and it is backwards compatible with the 1.x lighthouse?)

hopefully they will do a complete bundle, 8k with lighthouse and knuckles.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

Pimax argue it's pointless going 8k on a 16:9 ratio display like TV because it's better to put those pixels in a panarama mode. So you double the 4K image and call it 8k Panaramic.

I am sure they do.... ubisoft argued 30fps was a better framerate for gaming to give you that "cinematic" feel.....
it does not make it true though 😉

now if they called it Super wide 4K or 4K panoramic i would be with you.
(note i am not really that fussed.  dull day at the office and all that!)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well it's sold out on the retail store they are using. It costs £600 with free shipping I think. Very interesting development with this but I will wait (like everyone else) for the Tested review or more reviews to surface before getting excited.

Still, it does remind me of this for some reason.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

kevinw729 said:

From what we are hearing on the grapevine about OC4 - it would seem that the new FB management withing the operation have focused on "standalone" and mobileVR for the foreseeable future. Seems the "surprises" with the way the PC headset was deployed, and the issues experience means that though still invested, the key focus for the current business is the mobileVR approach. 

I think the rise of interest in Daydream from Samsung has focused a lot of minds within FB - and the inroads made by MS with Windows MR means that a new CV2 will be father off than even previously alluded too.

This is the second time today I've read a forum post claiming that but I've seen nothing that looks remotely credible. Do you have a source? It wouldn't surprise me if they drew that conclusion and it's true, but I'm not one for unsubstantiated rumors either.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
That 8k X full package looks nice but I just can't afford. I remember being in same quandary with rift dk1. I regretted not backing.