cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How safe my VR headset will be?

Pacoradon
Explorer
Howdy! I just got Oculus Rift S. I was wondering about safety of my lenses and VR headset. I have bright celling light. Is it safe to use VR headset under bright celling lamp? Isn't it dangerous to my VR headset?
6 REPLIES 6

lensmandave
Superstar
Direct sunlight can damage the display screen by focusing the light through the lenses, so you should avoid leaving the headset near a window for example. Normal domestic lighting isn't likely to cause the same sort of problems. It's a good idea to store your headset with a dust cover over it anyway 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Pacoradon
Explorer

Direct sunlight can damage the display screen by focusing the light through the lenses, so you should avoid leaving the headset near a window for example. Normal domestic lighting isn't likely to cause the same sort of problems. It's a good idea to store your headset with a dust cover over it anyway 🙂

So playing under bright white celling lamp for like 7+ hours is safe?

lensmandave
Superstar
You're fine playing for as long as you like under any lighting you choose. Just keep the headset away from direct sunlight when you aren't using it.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Highly recommended (by me at least) to also put a cover over the lenses when it's not in use. Before I bought my Kiwi interface cover and protective lens cover kit I was using the cardboard cover the Quest came with.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

chadblaire
Explorer
i have returned my unit, rift-s, twice due to broken pixels. the second time it might have also had sun damage after the pixel broke. the sun damage looked like a lunar eclipse with a black circle surrounded by a light corona ring. on both eyes. my guarantee has run out so i am hoping. btw, they want the orig box to return.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Agreed, direct sunlight might be like 100k lux (10k and more inside a living room where direct sunlight passes through a window), but even really close to a light bulb it's probably hard to get more than about 6k lux. 1 meter (3 feet) away from a lamp it may be like 100-200 lux. Something like that - I would not worry about lighting from a lamp. 

I have some art behind anti-uv museum glass, I check for lux exposure often using my luxmeter :blush:

Question about light intensity in HDRP - Unity Forum

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?