cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My internet just got a sudden jump boost out of no where?

TheArcheaon
Honored Guest
I'm using AT&T U-verse (commonly known to have issues) but here's what I'm not understanding.

My DL speed is 12mbps and my UPLOAD speed is 0.75

Common issues with my modem are sometimes the connection likes to drop down to (5mbps download speed) but today it decided to jump up to 30-40mbps (I only noticed this because I was re-installing the Elder Scrolls Online BETA launcher)

After it jumped up to 40mbps the game downloaded within about 10 minutes (which was crazy fast) but can anyone please explain how my internet just got a sudden jump boost? I would love to have a 40mbps download speed.

VR Pilot!
15 REPLIES 15

cybereality
Grand Champion
It must be magic.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TheArcheaon
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
It must be magic.

Good one, I'm trying to be serious here.
VR Pilot!

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
I second the magic notion. I would suspect a Unicorn is in the vicinity in fact. They have an interesting effect on those sorts of things.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
An MMO beta client probably isn't the most accurate way to measure bandwidth. It's almost certainly not a straight download process. There are probably other places where the client gathers data, possibly even data cached on your system, if you were involved in one of the previous betas. Only Zenimax really knows how the metering that is displayed is actually measured.

nka
Honored Guest
Connection are always 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps to the ISP. When you have something between, it's becose they are doing "trafic sharping". So, you may see a burst speed "over" your limit for a small delay.

Maybe the Sharping didnt kick in or was off for some reason.

Welby
Adventurer
I've noticed the same thing. Usually i download to 2Mb/sec maximum but with the Elder Scrolls online launcher i had a crazy speed.

Probabily is their launcher that is amazing :lol:

KBK
Protege
Of course you'll get a fast download of crap that sidelines people lives and minds.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

MannyLectro
Explorer
What the hell does this have to do with Oculus ??
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

MentalParadox
Explorer
My internet usually inexplicably slows down, not speed up :lol: