cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Oculus Touch for competitive use (Razer Hydra)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello dear forum

My name is Patrick Sommer and I am a top all around gamer here in Denmark, I have recently been using the Razer Hydra for competitive play (CS:GO, Overwatch etc. etc.), due to the Sixense Software (their own software) the right controller literally works like a mouse and have direct mouse input, which works extremely well. I was wondering if the same will be possible with the Touch, does anybody have knowledge about this? To those who wonder, this is completely without VR and any VR Headset, it's purely for control. I personally do not have the biggest of interest in VR, but I have a huge interest in motion controllers for PC.

I know that the STEM System (same makers of the Razer Hydra) is pretty much what I am looking for, but so far they have not been great with communication and living up to promises from their kickstarter (which is from 2013), also they just added a number to an already extremely high price. The previous price for the STEM System was $995, then they posted on their kickstarter (first time in 3-4 months), pushed back the delivery timeline (once again) and added a 1 to the price, so it became $1.995 instead, which is pure insanity.

Well, that was a little off topic, but I hope anyone either knows the information I am looking for or maybe even can refer to a totally different product πŸ™‚

In advance, thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

nosys70
Level 5
well you find air mouse for as low as 5$ on ebay, so i do not really understand why you would need an expensive (STEM is on pre-order now for $ 2,495.00) VR item to just emulate a mouse.
you can also go with project like The Adjacent Reality Tracker  or the EDTracker, or the many project designed mainly for FPV, or the many  hacks found for wireless gamepad from nitendo, Playstation or Xbox.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nosys70 said:

well you find air mouse for as low as 5$ on ebay, so i do not really understand why you would need an expensive VR item to just emulate a mouse.

Air mouse are not only less responsive, but also not even close to be working for a competitive game, also.. it's just a remote kinda thing.

Edit: Also my friend, Air mice uses gyro/gyration, which is completely useless for this purpose πŸ™‚

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

To those who wonder, this is completely without VR and any VR Headset, it's purely for control. I personally do not have the biggest of interest in VR, but I have a huge interest in motion controllers for PC.

Touch can't be used without a VR headset. While the Touch package includes a camera, that's only for position tracking. The actual wireless receiver (needed for buttons, thumbsticks, vibration, etc) is built inside of the CV1 headset.

Technically you could use Touch without wearing the CV1, as long as it is still plugged in, but that's a lot of money to just sit on the desk.

I doubt the default Oculus software will do mouse emulation by default like the Sixsense software though, Touch is intended purely for VR software. But somebody could probably write a program for it.

I just had one of my coworkers today say that he wanted Touch but not VR. πŸ™‚

I'm a Stem kickstarter. Argh, another delay until december!

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

To those who wonder, this is completely without VR and any VR Headset, it's purely for control. I personally do not have the biggest of interest in VR, but I have a huge interest in motion controllers for PC.

Touch can't be used without a VR headset. While the Touch package includes a camera, that's only for position tracking. The actual wireless receiver (needed for buttons, thumbsticks, vibration, etc) is built inside of the CV1 headset.

Technically you could use Touch without wearing the CV1, as long as it is still plugged in, but that's a lot of money to just sit on the desk.

I doubt the default Oculus software will do mouse emulation by default like the Sixsense software though, Touch is intended purely for VR software. But somebody could probably write a program for it.

I just had one of my coworkers today say that he wanted Touch but not VR. πŸ™‚

I'm a Stem kickstarter. Argh, another delay until december!

Idd also, they literally doubled the price of the STEM System on their website, which is really crazy.

GoesTo11
Level 4
The five tracker bundle is getting close to 10x the price that I pledged on the Kickstarter.  They have a consumer version coming out which they say will be much cheaper.  I think that was supposed to come out March 2017, so I would expect it around 2019.