cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSVR Quality

ElvisPresley
Explorer
Rift owner, thought about buying a PSVR for Resident Evil...Can anybody describe the visual quality of the PSVR as compared to the Rift..Is it  a huge step down and or whats better, worse, etc...
18 REPLIES 18

kevink808
Superstar

vetie said:

My PC is running an i7 16GB and a new 1080ti so I can use the high quality graphics option on some games. 

I have the regular 1080 and I already use max settings on everything - about 20 games or so.  I haven't tried Dirt Rally yet, I read that was pretty taxing.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

ColinB
Adventurer
While the resolution is very similar, there is no doubt that the Playstation VR appears so much clearer and nearly impossible to see the SDE and those DevilRays.
The fit is amazingly comfortable too as is the choice of games etc.
But because of the Oculus and Unity, I like the CV1.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevink808 said:

vetie said:

My PC is running an i7 16GB and a new 1080ti so I can use the high quality graphics option on some games. 

I have the regular 1080 and I already use max settings on everything - about 20 games or so.  I haven't tried Dirt Rally yet, I read that was pretty taxing.

DR is taxing on the GPU - especially in RX mode where there are more cars involved but, I doubt CM did much to optimize VR performance and they are not committed to adding VR-support to Dirt4.

kevink808
Superstar
I had the Move controllers with PS3 and they sucked.  Are they the same controllers and do they still suck?

PhilSurtees
Protege

kevink808 said:

I had the Move controllers with PS3 and they sucked.  Are they the same controllers and do they still suck?

When you buy the PSVR headset, you also have to buy the Move controllers and the PS Camera. They are the standard items , not modded for VR. Bundles were available , not sure if they still are. Bundle only saved about $30 or so.

inovator
Consultant
The move controllers can't compare. But games using the Gamepad and I believe the near future gun will shine. In resident evil u use your head to aim. For me it is very comfortable and precise. The gun that will be used in farpoint will be the answer for many games and will be much better than the move controller especially since it will have anolog  stick unlike move controllers.

Qba73
Protege
I tried the psvr at my brother in laws house, first thing that got me was no sde or godrays but I quickly noticed the lower res, all in all the psvr did well but still prefer my rift more. However I think game selection will be more abundant with the psvr because of the higher base Sony has and the devs will always prefer the higher base which means more revenue for them. But if in the end if Sony brings vr mainstream it will benefit the rift and vive in the end as far a selection in games and game development in vr. 
I9 13900k @ 6.0ghz AC (water), Asus Z690 Apex, 64gb gskill 5800 DDR5, Aorus 4090 Waterforce @ 3ghz

kevink808
Superstar

Qba73 said:

I tried the psvr at my brother in laws house, first thing that got me was no sde or godrays but I quickly noticed the lower res, all in all the psvr did well but still prefer my rift more. However I think game selection will be more abundant with the psvr because of the higher base Sony has and the devs will always prefer the higher base which means more revenue for them. But if in the end if Sony brings vr mainstream it will benefit the rift and vive in the end as far a selection in games and game development in vr. 

Maybe ports to PC will not be hard to accomplish.  PC VR tends to have well-heeled users despite small install base, which I imagine would translate to higher software purchase rates than consoles, which I believe remain in the 4-5 games per year level.  PC and console gaming have coexisted for some time now with parity, I'd say since Xbox introduced a more PC-ish experience with console convenience at the turn of the millennium. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Sony Expanding PSVR To Location-Based Experiences In Japan
The Wall Street Journal cites sources “familiar with the matter” in saying that Sony is planning to roll out PSVR to location-based units in Japan after slower than expected sales. These units would apparently not be run by Sony itself, but instead, the company will find partners across various industries to make use of its kit. Japanese gamers may well soon start seeing the headset in arcades and other facilities across the country.

https://uploadvr.com/report-sony-expanding-psvr-location-based-experiences-japan/
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959