cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSVR Quality

ElvisPresley
Explorer
Rift owner, thought about buying a PSVR for Resident Evil...Can anybody describe the visual quality of the PSVR as compared to the Rift..Is it  a huge step down and or whats better, worse, etc...
18 REPLIES 18

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
As a CV1 user you will notice the screen door and the light leakage issues, but you will be impressed by the weight relief and fit (depending on no abnormalities of head size to norm!) It will be the quality of the tracking of hand movements via MOVE that will cause the largest disconnect for any high-end VR user. But I think you will also be impressed by the simplicity of installation, set-up and software running.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

hennepin
Honored Guest
Actually, you will notice that there is no screen door effect, and no god rays, and colours look more vibrant. I was amazed by PSVR display quality, despite it's a bit lower resolution you won't notice it, they use RGB screen wihch in fact has 20% more subpixels than Pentile screen in Rift.

inovator
Consultant
I am definitely getting it. I haven't tried it but i read enough that its,worth getting for resident evil alone. Actually I read,the screen door effect is less noticeable. The resolution is a little lower but not a great difference. Hundreds of thousands of people have played resident evil vr already. I traded my playstation 4 for the pro. to get an even better playstation vr experience. If only I can purchase the PlayStation VR worlds package then I would buy Resident Evil VR. But what the hell you can't find it anywhere. It as scarce is a dodo bird. Someday when the PlayStation VR is finally released to all that seeketh I will make the purchase. I refuse to overpay a 3rd party.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
RE on the PSVR is fine. Once you're taken in you'll forget about any negatives. There's also no distracting god rays. That said, I expect the Rift version at the end of this year will be superior.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

maxpare79
Trustee
My neighbor sold his because it was giving him headaches while the Rift did not. I have not tried it. 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
Did your neighbor ever calibrate his IPD on the PSVR? If not he could have been using it with a high IPD setting too wide for his eyes, causing his eyes to diverge outward. That gives me headaches/eye strain in 3D and its the only thing that ever did after 2,500 hours of it on my 46" 3DTV. Sony unfortunately doesn't include changing IPD as part of the setup process and doesn't warn people that for things to look the right size/distance (and avoid headaches/eye stran) they must re-set it for each person with a new IPD.

The PSVR demo i tried, the shark cage and everything looked way way too big and too far away. Not good when you are trying to create a feeling of a shark being very close to you, with a cage you can reach right out and touch. As a 3D gamer i new what was happening right away and if it was Nvidia 3D Vision i was using i'd just hit "Ctrl [" a couple of time till things looked right, adjusting the far point value, then maybe the near point, to decrease the separation and have my eye point inward more.

Lol, the guy giving the PSVR demo assured me that there was absolutely, positively, ZERO "3D technology", not to worry, there is only genuine VR technology inside this device. I doubt the guy cared about IPD. He was a big guy, so i wonder if he set the PSVR for himself and called it a day. Maybe eye tracking tech could do a quick IPD calibration for each new user.

inovator
Consultant
I owned mine for the last 30 days. I love my rift but the psvr is amazing for the price. I just got resident evil vr. Amazing game in vr. I have been having a blast. Far point is preordered. Don't hesitate. Get it and enjoy. 

vetie
Explorer
I have all three of the big boys (Rift, Vive and the PSVR). The SDE is LESS noticeable on the PSVR and the graphic quality seems to be the best of the three (my opinion, I also run it with the PS4 PRO). Each headset has its strengths and weaknesses and I like them all.

I would rate them as follows:
Comfort - 1 PSVR 2 Rift 3 Vive
Clarity - 1 PSVR 2 Rift 3 Vive
Ease of use - 1 Rift (love the touch controllers and the integrated audio) 2 PSVR 3 Vive
Content - 1 Rift 2 PSVR (RE7, Dirt and Rush of Blood) 3 Vive

My PC is running an i7 16GB and a new 1080ti so I can use the high quality graphics option on some games. 

PhilSurtees
Protege
I had the PSVR and sold, primarily due to tracking issues and the limited Move controllers. It was ok but I didn't think it was as good as the Rift. But if you already have the Ps4 and don't have a top-notch pc, then it makes sense.