cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Lament Configuration

saviornt
Protege
This may sound weird, but does anyone have a link or the steps to solve the lament configuration? A quick search on google has not revealed anything that I could find.

If you're curious, the lament configuration is the box from Hellraiser. Don't ask why I need the steps to solve :twisted:
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG
7 REPLIES 7

saviornt
Protege
Just an update:

After researching online to no avail, I sat down and watched the movies (all of them) a few times while paying close attention to how the person opens the box and the sequences afterwards.

If life goes well, and I get a functional demo, who knows where this project could go.

A little bit of a teaser (pending) for the imagination:

Company of Shadows

Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

Jedi2016
Honored Guest
It's never described in detail. In the book especially, it's exceptionally complex, with seemingly hundreds of moving panels. In the original film, it had only what.. four pieces? I can't remember if they changed it in the later films, I've only seen a few of them, and none recently.

The original name is the Lemarchand Configuration, incidentally, after the toymaker that originally created it. I've always felt that the "Lament" name was a cheap way of lazy screenwriters to avoid having to say the much longer French name. The idea of multiple boxes was purely a creation of the films, I prefer the idea of the single box as featured in the original novel. The original Cenobites were also somewhat different, they came through rather well in the original film, but lost a lot in the later ones, becoming you run-of-the-mill movie monsters.

Okay, I'm done rambling.. lol.

saviornt
Protege
"Lament" is also easier to type 😛

In the clive barker comics, it states that there are multiple items (not just boxes) that are a portal. In the book, the box was also pure black, with the inside being reflective; the movies were different. Anyways.. I think I'll be designing both Pinheads.. I won't spoil the series and relate what I mean by that.

Peejle
Explorer
I think the closest thing to this so far in a game is The Room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F11elkZ6DLc

No bad consequences for solving / not solving the puzzles but...

Maybe a devote developer can have pinhead and his cohorts appear next to a vr solver...

Peejle

saviornt
Protege
That demo is nothing like what I want to do :twisted:

n00854180t
Explorer
Cool idea 😄 Even if you don't figure out the exact/cannon way of opening the box, I'm sure you can come up with something fun.

Personally I would give extra points if it weren't obvious/automatic to solve the box, and actually took some doing and investigation by the player to get it solved and opened.

saviornt
Protege
It definitely won't be automatic, and the user will need to put some effort into it. The idea (just an idea, mind you), is that there are a number (X) ways of opening the box, and all but 1 (the final diamond shape) leads to certain.. consequences.. for the user, depending on which mode they select (hardest mode = physical pain). The diamond shape will lead to bliss, whereas the other shapes will lead to.. well.. yea.

The hardest thing about this project, other than modelling and texturing, is going to be getting a control scheme in place that feels natural and immersive 😕

If only ControlVR was not so expensive, it would be perfect for this.