cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with building hello_xr Sample - Python3 not found

aesiio
Explorer

Hello, 

I am working through this hello_xr Sample App (https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/android/mobile-build-run-hello-xr-app/) but running into build errors.

About my enviornment:

• Windows 11

I am getting stuck at the step where I need to build. When I try building the project, I get a bunch of errors like:

Build command failed.
Error while executing process C:\Users\jackd\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\cmake\3.10.2.4988404\bin\ninja.exe with arguments {-C C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a XrApiLayer_api_dump XrApiLayer_core_validation hello_xr}
ninja: Entering directory `C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a'
[1/36] Generating C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/src/tests/hello_xr/.cxx/Debug/4q165j76/armeabi-v7a/include/openxr/openxr_platform.h
FAILED: include/openxr/openxr_platform.h 
cmd.exe /C "cd /D C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a\include\openxr && C:\Users\jackd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.exe C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/include/openxr/../../specification/scripts/genxr.py -registry C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/include/openxr/../../specification/registry/xr.xml -o C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/src/tests/hello_xr/.cxx/Debug/4q165j76/armeabi-v7a/include/openxr openxr_platform.h"
Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App Execution Aliases.
[2/36] Generating C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/src/tests/hello_xr/.cxx/Debug/4q165j76/armeabi-v7a/include/openxr/openxr.h
FAILED: include/openxr/openxr.h 

When trying to debug, I saw online that people suggest turning off App Execution Aliases for python. After doing this, the error messages change to:

Build command failed.
Error while executing process C:\Users\jackd\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\cmake\3.10.2.4988404\bin\ninja.exe with arguments {-C C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a XrApiLayer_api_dump XrApiLayer_core_validation hello_xr}
ninja: Entering directory `C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a'
[1/36] Generating C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/src/tests/hello_xr/.cxx/Debug/4q165j76/armeabi-v7a/include/openxr/openxr_reflection.h
FAILED: include/openxr/openxr_reflection.h 
cmd.exe /C "cd /D C:\Git\OpenXR\OpenXR-SDK-Source\src\tests\hello_xr\.cxx\Debug\4q165j76\armeabi-v7a\include\openxr && C:\Users\jackd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.exe C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/include/openxr/../../specification/scripts/genxr.py -registry C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/include/openxr/../../specification/registry/xr.xml -o C:/Git/OpenXR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/src/tests/hello_xr/.cxx/Debug/4q165j76/armeabi-v7a/include/openxr openxr_reflection.h"
'C:\Users\jackd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Can anyone help me debug this error message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aesiio
Explorer

Fixed! I had to clone a fresh copy of the OpenXR-SDK-Source repo. 

Solution was provided here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenXR-SDK-Source/issues/338

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

aesiio
Explorer

Fixed! I had to clone a fresh copy of the OpenXR-SDK-Source repo. 

Solution was provided here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenXR-SDK-Source/issues/338

linehammer
Honored Guest
This error message Python was not found typically occurs when you try to run a Python script on a Windows machine, but Python is not installed or configured correctly. The message is indicating that the Python interpreter is not found on your system, and suggesting that you install it from the Microsoft Store.

To resolve this issue, you can follow these steps:

Install Python 

After installing Python, you need to add it to the PATH environment variable. This will enable you to run Python from the command prompt or PowerShell. To do this, search for "Environment Variables" in the Windows search bar, and click on "Edit the system environment variables". In the "System Properties" dialog, click on the "Environment Variables" button. Under "System Variables", find the "Path" variable and click "Edit". Add the path to the Python installation directory to the list of paths, separated by semicolons. For example, if you installed Python in the default location, the path would be "C:\Python39".

If you are using a terminal or editor to run Python, you may need to restart it after installing and configuring Python.