cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New OpenXR Body tracking functionality returns a runtime error on PC over Link/AirLink.

BattleAxeVR
Expert Protege

Hi Meta, I reported this issue on Github but would like to repeat it here for visibility.

https://github.com/BattleAxeVR/OpenXR-SDK-Source/issues/3

xrLocateBodyJointsFB returns a runtime error over Link (on all three Quests, 1, 2 and Pro, which I own).

It would be great if this extension would work on PC as I intend to use it in my game, if you'll allow it. PLEASE FIX. FBT on Quest 2 / PC is a game changer for barrier to entry and getting elbow and waist joint poses, especially would be very helpful, even if they are estimated. 

Also it'd be great if these features weren't restricted to "dev mode" only. I don't understand why PC VR gamers have to jump through hoops to use the hardware they paid good money for. Please, as a longtime Oculus dev who's worked on many titles, from large to small, this kind of thing is really a problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

johnkearney
Oculus Staff

@BattleAxeVR- quick update here, we've pushed a Public Test build for v47 which includes a fix for this body tracking problem with Meta Quest Link. Please let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

johnkearney
Oculus Staff

Thanks @BattleAxeVR  - the report on the samples github was circulated to the appropriate folks and we've been able to replicate the issue internally. We will push out a fix as quickly as possible.

Thank you so much! Much appreciated. 

BattleAxeVR
Expert Protege

Btw as soon as it's working on PC / Link, or even perhaps sooner on standalone mode, I intend to update my Github fork of hello_xr to make a waist-oriented thumbstick locomotion sample. Using the waist pose for movement direction is killer, it's basically like the DecaMove dongle but without any hardware needed. I plan on making this a centerpiece for my VR game and incorporating it into standalone apps I'm working on as well.

btw, xrLocateBodyJointsFB  also returns a runtime error on Quest 1, even on Android / standalone mode. I know Quest 1 is somewhat in your rear-view mirror, but it's still relevant to a lot of gamers and I still greatly enjoy using it personally due to its OLED panels.

johnkearney
Oculus Staff

@BattleAxeVR- quick update here, we've pushed a Public Test build for v47 which includes a fix for this body tracking problem with Meta Quest Link. Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks! awesome. I will test it ASAP and then post a demo / video of it working on PC showing a simple implementation of waist-oriented locomotion. I tested / implemented that on Quest standalone and it works perfectly

Thanks so much John, I just tested it in my hello_xr branch on my Quest 2 using Link and it works like a champ! you rock! cheers. this totally unblocks me so I can use it for my PC VR game (and in my Quest apps too, for waist-oriented locomotion which works fantastic)

https://twitter.com/BattleAxeVR/status/1595102656527491072

I also confirmed FBT works on Quest 1 on PC! bonus. and it seems to be working on Quest 1 on mobile too, now, maybe the last update fixed it but it wasn't working for me before. Now it's working on all three Quests, both on PC and mobile. This is huge because a reliable waist pose alone can allow devs to implement waist-oriented locomotion instead of head- or controller-oriented which both have serious VR sickness problems. Waist-oriented locomotion is the most natural and obvious way to reduce VR sickness, and it even makes the right thumbstick to turn semi-redundant, as you can just rotate your body in real life. Yes, you could do this before with the other two modes, but if you try walking while turning your head to look around = bam, instant VR sickness for many. This way is far more stable and lets you soak in the countryside in SkyrimVR without straying from the path, or keeping stop-go just to look around. And controller-oriented is ludicrous on its face, you can't fight and move at the same time this way. But head-oriented is almost as bad. Waist-oriented fixes all these issues and I'm kind of surprised how well it works. I mean, using the waist's orientation projected to the X-Z (horizontal) plane, in 2D, because the waist can point up and down slightly which would otherwise mean your forward movement would result in you climbing or falling. It is really great what you've achieved here, Meta! I cannot thank you enough!

Now all we need is local dimming to become a platform-wide feature on Pro (so all games can benefit from it OOTB, without explicit code needed), and we're set. I implemented local dimming myself though, and it doesn't do hardly anything at all in my tests. I will open up a separate bug issue for that.

One more quick question if you don't mind. These extensions will become accessible on PC without devmode active or required eventually, yes? I don't just need this stuff working on PC to help my Quest standalone apps in terms of iteration time, I want to use it in my game and I noticed that ex VR Chat folks can't use it on PC due to some artificial restriction where Unity can use this functionality for test builds but not shipping builds. That's a major roadblock for PC VR devs and I hope it goes away eventually. Just wanted to confirm whether that is the case.