cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to get grip button input on quest 1; getting path unsupported for spec-allowed binding

Phildo3
Protege
When I try `xrGetCurrentInteractionProfile` for `/user/hand/left` on the quest (v1), I get `/interaction_profiles/oculus/touch_controller` (as expected).

However, when I try to suggest a binding for the path `/user/hand/left/input/squeeze/value` with `xrSuggestInteractionProfileBindings`, I get `XR_ERROR_PATH_UNSUPPORTED`.

The openXR spec shows that this binding _should_ be supported here: https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenXR/specs/1.0/html/xrspec.html#_oculus_touch_controller_profile , and further, specifies that it _MUST_ be supported through this line: "A runtime must accept every valid binding in the allowlist though it is free to ignore any of them."

But to be clear, I'm not concerned with "spec correctness" for its own sake- I simply can't access the grip input on quest 1 with openxr at all until this is fixed.

Is it true that there are just _no_ openXR applications available for quest 1 which use the grip button? or am I missing something elsewhere?

If this is a bug, who can I contact to get this (major) issue resolved ASAP?
4 REPLIES 4

Phildo3
Protege
BUMP: tl;dr:
Using OpenXR bindings that work for Quest+Link does not work for standalone Quest, despite reporting identical interaction profile.

This bug means OpenXR applications for standalone Quest cannot access the grip button.

This is a platform-breaking bug.

If I am wrong in my assessment, I'd appreciate a correction. If not, it would seem pretty important that some Oculus OXR devs see and fix this ASAP. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. This forum is dead, and I know of no other way to get Oculus' attention.

Phildo3
Protege
Bump: either there's a platform breaking bug and I have no way to report it to oculus, or I'm sitting on a misunderstanding with no community to help me resolve it for 2 weeks.

either way the message is "oxr development for quest is not viable"

Polyfructol
Honored Guest
Hello Phildo3,

I was tinkering with OpenXR on the Quest 2 and was struggling to get any inputs to work ! It was really a pain compared to the VrApi... But I make it work and "/user/hand/left/input/squeeze/value" is correctly supported on the Quest 2.

I cannot directly help you since I do not own a Quest 1, but I can share the code where I setup the inputs : pastebin.com/RtrBDQ0Q (I can't post links since I'm new here)

Though, OpenXR development seems to be a priority for the team. For native developers, Phase Sync is not available through VrApi but only through OpenXR...
- twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1336193106186817537
developer.oculus.com/blog/bringing-phase-sync-to-mobile-vr

Too bad that the forum seems abandoned by the Oculus dev team.

Hope you find a fix for your problem.

Phildo3
Protege
Thanks for the reply- it really is unfortunate how little visibility these forums get from the oculus dev team, especially when I think I've found something significant.

but looking at your links: that looks just like how I've done it. in fact, the code I have works great, even on the oculus quest hardware, but only via link cable (and thus, when playing via the PCVR runtime). so I know my code is correct. the problem is that the same code fails when run on native quest, even though the same (and seemingly correct) interaction profile is reported for what is also the same hardware.