cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 0.6.0.0 SDK & Runtime Alpha Release (RC1)

cybereality
Grand Champion
The new 0.6.0.0 RC1 Oculus SDK is now available to the private alpha tester group.

This release is only stable on Direct Mode, so please make sure to be using that for testing.

Please download and provide any feedback as this is critical to fixing bugs before a public release.

oculus_runtime_sdk_0.6.0.0_win_RC1.exe:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... in_RC1.exe

ovr_sdk_all_src_0.6.0.0_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC1.zip

ovr_sdk_win_0.6.0.0_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC1.zip

ovr_unity_0.6.0.0_lib_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... ib_RC1.zip
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
32 REPLIES 32

drash
Heroic Explorer
Currently in the middle of development but shocked to see the version number climb to 0.6 already, and will try it out soon. In the meantime, I looked inside the Unity zip and the documentation folder appears to be empty. Should we be aware of any specific changes to help us narrow down what to look for as we test?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Tojiro
Protege
Skimming through the release notes I'm suppressing squeals of delight. I suppose I may still run into some horrible problem or another, but first blush impressions are that this seems like the new compositor will solve a LOT of problems I've been encountering in my project. (Google Chrome integration)

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it pans out in practice!

cybereality
Grand Champion
For the missing Unity docs, please try downloading again (we updated the zip file).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jherico
Adventurer
So.... all evidence of the concept of direct vs extended mode appears to be gone from the API, as well as things like WindowPos from the ovrHmd structure.

I'm assuming this means that Oculus is taking over window creation and management and dealing with the distinction between direct and extended mode (or that, somehow you're eliminating extended mode, which seems unlikely given that you haven't ever supported Direct mode on OSX or Linux).
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

jherico
Adventurer
"drash" wrote:
.. shocked to see the version number climb to 0.6 already ...

Looks like 0.5.0 was just a placeholder for maintaining the same API while transitioning to a shim mechanism to load the real DLL included in the Runtime. 0.6.0 on the other hand is a major shift in the API itself. FML... I almost had the book to print.

drash
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for the doc update in the Unity download. The release notes are indeed amazing! Unclear if the layering stuff made it into the Unity plugin, but I guess I'll find out when I dig in.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

jherico
Adventurer
So, I notice that all the Health and Safety Warning related functions are gone, AND that the developer override to disable it is similarly no longer functional.

You mentioned a while back that there were plans for letting users supply their own HSW stuff for internationalization. I don't see anything like that though. What gives? Having to deal with the HSW every time they reload an app they're running 30 times a day is going to piss off a lot of developers.

jherico
Adventurer
Was it really necessary to define ovrSuccess as 0?

Now all the code that used to be

if (!ovr_Function()) {
// emit failure
}

has to be changed to

if (ovrSuccess != ovr_Function()) {
// emit failure
}

I'm happy there are error codes, but this is needlessly annoying.

paul_pedriana
Explorer
You can also use:
if (!OVR_SUCCESS(ovr_Function()) {
// emit failure
}

The definition of success as 0 is a long-standing convention in error systems and we felt it was better to go with that than to create something similar but not quite the same as convention.