cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 0.6.0.0 SDK & Runtime Alpha Release (RC1)

cybereality
Grand Champion
The new 0.6.0.0 RC1 Oculus SDK is now available to the private alpha tester group.

This release is only stable on Direct Mode, so please make sure to be using that for testing.

Please download and provide any feedback as this is critical to fixing bugs before a public release.

oculus_runtime_sdk_0.6.0.0_win_RC1.exe:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... in_RC1.exe

ovr_sdk_all_src_0.6.0.0_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC1.zip

ovr_sdk_win_0.6.0.0_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC1.zip

ovr_unity_0.6.0.0_lib_RC1.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... ib_RC1.zip
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
32 REPLIES 32

paul_pedriana
Explorer
With respect to the Health and Safety warning (HSW), you should be able to use the previously documented registry key scheme to disable it. Is that not working?

The drawing of the HSW is now handled by the OVRService and applications need do nothing, as indicated in the release notes. Custom HSWs are not currently supported. HSWs currently execute within the application, but a future version will execute before the application.

jherico
Adventurer
"paul.pedriana" wrote:
With respect to the Health and Safety warning (HSW), you should be able to use the previously documented registry key scheme to disable it. Is that not working?

I'd previously disabled the HSW directly by modifying the ProfileDB.json in ~/AppData/Local/Oculus. I've never touched my registry. Oddly, when i added the registry key and went to the 'advanced' settings in the config utility, the 'Disable Health and Safety Warning' item was already checked. I had to uncheck it and re-check it in order for it to actually work.

After doing that, the profile appears unchanged (actually, it is unchanged, since it has the same MD5 sum as before) but has a new datestamp, and now the HSW doesn't appear.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

jherico
Adventurer
OpenGL support is substantially improved. The on-screen window size is no longer tied to the Rift resolution. And on my system you no longer have to bookend the OpenGL context with the OVR init / de-init functions. That will be a substantial improvement in apps that need to switch between VR and non-VR modes.

I've updated my single file example here: https://gist.github.com/jherico/a647e2315062e910d23c

Tojiro
Protege
My compliments to the team on the really excellent variety of OculusRoomTiny variants. I just spent an hour or so playing with all of them and inspecting the related code. It's really cool to see such easily accessible demonstrations of techniques like mono rendering and watch the effect toggling it has on the scene.

genetransfer
Explorer
just made the changes to my custom engine (dx11). everything working but I got tripped up with vsync i was using...

gD3D_SwapChain->Present(1, 0);

when it should have been...

gD3D_SwapChain->Present(0, 0);

it caused skipping in the head tracking, but good to see no tearing with the dx handled vsync off so that's cool, also can go fullscreen (alt + Enter) if I want to so that good also.

as for other issues i just get a service crash when changing from extended to direct mode and vice versa.

also extended mode doesn't seem to work with my engine, but not using it anymore anyway as as of last ovr release, as it was acting just like direct mode was at the time being a bit more jittery. but direct mode seems fine now as long as i don't ask to much of the gpu (stuck on a gtx650 but still runs surprising well for what is on screen).

I also have to adjust some timing stuff due to dx vsync being off but it's only a few small things so not too much drama. overall like the new version but everytime a new version comes out I do cringe a little wondering what I have to redo in the engine, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. thanks for the good feature list of changes and explanations.

cegli
Honored Guest
I haven't started integrating this into Dolphin VR yet, but so far this release looks like a big improvement over 0.5.0.1!

Preliminary Feedback:
  • 0.5.0.1 is pretty much completely broken on my computer. Every application has stutters even in extended mode, which didn't occur in 0.4.4/0.4.3/0.4.2 etc.

• 0.6.0.0 fixes this! Direct mode in OculusWorldDemo is back to working flawlessly, which is great news.

• Installation of the run time went great. Smoothest so far. No breaking of any old applications I've tried running as well, which is good news.

• Release notes look really useful! Thanks for taking the time to put them together. I'm sure it will help with porting our code to the newest release.

One big request I have is to allow a way to turn off the Health and Safety Warning for all users. It causes serious problems in Dolphin VR, because it comes back up again every time a save state is loaded and also clips inside the Nintendo logo awkwardly. We have replaced it with a non-vr popup that happens when you first launch a game. This is a lot better for our application. I could probably try and find it inside the SDK and compile my own version with it ripped out, but I'd definitely rather just have an option to cleanly disable it like we could in 0.4.4.

I'll give another update once it is integrated into our code. I'm excited to see if any of our direct mode / reprojection / synchronous timewarp judder is solved in select games that seem to cause problems.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"cegli" wrote:
One big request I have is to allow a way to turn off the Health and Safety Warning for all users. It causes serious problems in Dolphin VR, because it comes back up again every time a save state is loaded and also clips inside the Nintendo logo awkwardly.

Also the Nintendo health and safety warning is blocked by your health and safety warning.

"cegli" wrote:
I could probably try and find it inside the SDK and compile my own version with it ripped out

Technically we can't, because that would violate GPL. We can only use non-GPL system libraries if they are unmodified. Also, the whole point of switching to a DLL is that all applications use the system DLL which ships with the Rift and can be updated by Oculus at any time. For example, Oculus should have updated the 0.5.0 DLL for this release so that all our applications built against the 0.5.0.1 API still get the latest improvements.

I'm about to start testing this now, which means I guess I won't be able to add Vive support this weekend after all. :lol:
I wondered what was going to happen in May when Oculus kept leaking hints about that date. I guess it's just this.

Does this include asynchronous timewarp? Or is it just the compositor? I'm guessing the main change is that I now have to render the Metroid visor as a separate layer so it doesn't timewarp. Or perhaps I'm also supposed to render the 2D screens in a different way so they don't waste resolution.

EDIT: First issue... text file line breaks aren't and therefore are.
EDIT: Second issue... running the Oculus World Demo without the 0.6.0 Runtime installed gives the completely unhelpful error "Unable to initialize LibOVR", "QUIT" / "OK". Both buttons seem to do the same thing and quit. It would be much better if it said "Please install Oculus Runtime 0.6.0 or later".

jherico
Adventurer
The presence of a layertype of ovrLayerType_Direct implies that client side distortion should still be usable. However, the means of creating a distortion mesh have been removed from the SDK.

I know there are number of cases where it would be very useful to have the distortion mesh available and pre-distort content. For instance, in ray tracing, where you could drastically reduce the workload by distorting the rays before calculating them (admittedly at the cost of timewarp support). Since the distortion mesh creation functions still have to be in the runtime to support 0.5, please restore them to the header file, or add them to an additional header file for utility functions at least.

Also, with the use of the texture sets, I imagine that some optimization mechanisms would benefit if the user could provide a stencil layer to indicate parts of the pre-distorted texture that should be not be sampled.

owenwp
Expert Protege
Direct mode is not working for me on my laptop with the demo scene in the config utility.

When I first installed it, nothing would make the Rift display turn on (switching display modes, power cycling everything, etc). Direct mode showed a black window, and extended mode displayed on my main monitor.

I updated my video driver, and afterward running the demo scene caused the crash attached.

I reinstalled the runtime, and now extended mode does work. However it is juddery and the windows taskbar is visible inside the rift. Direct mode still just gives me a black window and does not turn on the Rift. I also tried with all other devices unplugged.

I am also seeing frequent service crash notifications inside the config utility, especially when switching display mode and unplugging the Rift. And the eye relief dial graphic always shows the relief dialed out to maximum when the config tool is opened, regardless of the slider setting.

Included my dxdiag as well.

Tojiro
Protege
"jherico" wrote:
Also, with the use of the texture sets, I imagine that some optimization mechanisms would benefit if the user could provide a stencil layer to indicate parts of the pre-distorted texture that should be not be sampled.

I know that Valve has a method for that but I also don't believe they're using Timewarp. Timewarp makes is feasible that any given point on the texture may be sampled depecding on the apps latency and how vigorous the user's head motion is, which I'm pretty sure prevents this stencil method from being used.