cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 0.6.0.0 SDK & Runtime Alpha Release (RC2)

cybereality
Grand Champion
Main fix in this version is that Extended Mode should now be working again. Please give it a try and report back.

ovr_sdk_all_src_0.6.0.0_RC2.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC2.zip

ovr_sdk_win_0.6.0.0_RC2.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC2.zip

ovr_unity_0.6.0.0_lib_RC2.zip:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... ib_RC2.zip

oculus_runtime_sdk_0.6.0.0_win_RC2.exe:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... in_RC2.exe
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
18 REPLIES 18

Tojiro
Protege
Both this and 0.6.0.0 RC1 are failing on my work machine (Quadro 600, latest Nvidia drivers, plus some corp-mandated security garbage like Bit9). Launching the demo scene, Oculus World, or any of the samples (DX or GL) shows a black mirror window and no content on the HMD. HMD power light doesn't turn blue. Using the same runtime, however, I'm able to run older demos (like Oculus World from the 0.4.4 SDK) just fine. I get the same result with both direct and extended mode.

Don't have this issue on my personal machine. (GTX 970)

cybereality
Grand Champion
On that work machine, can you provide the diagnostic log? It's in the Config Util under Tools -> Advanced.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tojiro
Protege
Sure, here you go.

genetransfer
Explorer
just tried it in my custom engine dx11.

no more service crash when switching between extended and direct.

direct mode works fine except when comming back from extended mode. the hmd doesn't
doesn't light up but game is displayed on the screen. stopping the service and restarting
fixes it though. I can't seem to restart the service by clicking on the config util
(doesn't launch after stopping runtime)though I have to completley stop it using the task manager
then I can restart it.

extended mode starts in windowed mode even if I set dx to fullscreen on start up, however it
can alt+enter to fullscreen. Direct mode is fine as it can start in windowed or fullscreen on start-up.

extended mode (on first install of run times) displayed on monitor, and only lines on the hmd
(like the outside of a clamped texture look). stopping and restarting runtimes fixed that issue,
did a restart of pc just in case though.

extended mode seems to be flashing a black layer over the screen and hmd every few seconds,
I say layer as when I took a screen cap while everything was black and checked out the stored image,
it was as if everything look fine.

owenwp
Expert Protege
Now neither direct mode nor extended works for me. Both show a black window and nothing else.

genetransfer
Explorer
"genetransfer" wrote:

extended mode starts in windowed mode even if I set dx to fullscreen on start up, however it
can alt+enter to fullscreen.

just installed nvidia 347.88 drivers and extended now does launch in fullscreen on my engine but on the display it goes black and the black layer does still appear sporadically on the hmd also.

extended mode is also really jittery/juddery. direct mode is better than extended now, but every now and then direct mode does start jittering/juddering for no reason but comes good again. I guess the scene I'm rendering is maybe complex for my card gtx650 image below, but most of the time it's in the good zone of 75fps.

none of the other issues I mentioned where effected by the update to nvidia drivers.

DeanOfTheDriver
Protege
Thanks for your feedback. Don't forget there are number of reasons for judder. With RC1 we were having judder in extended mode due to not being able to go full screen reliably. With extended mode that'll always be a risk. Direct mode tends to isolate these problems and judder in direct tends to be low frame rates.

Thanks again!

cegli
Honored Guest
I have some interesting results so far. Here's my monitor setup:

AMD Card:
1x 1080p HDTV connected through VGA.
1x Oculus Rift DK2 connected through HDMI.

Onboard Intel Graphics:
1x 1280x1024 monitor attached through DVI.

Oculus World Demo - Extended Mode:

Mirrored Windowed on HDTV - No judder, small chops every ~5 seconds during headtracking.
Mirrored Windowed resized to 0x0 pixels on HDTV - No judder/chops at all.
Windowed on Intel driven monitor - No judder/chops at all.

Conclusion: The cause of the occasional chops in extended mode with mirrored window are a result of the Mirrored Window being displayed on the same graphics card as the Rift is driven on. Moving it to a different graphics card, or resizing the window to 0 made the chops disappear.

Bugs:

Switching between extended and direct mode the Oculus service crashed. I managed to get it to do this twice now (once in RC1 and once in RC2). I was trying to get it to do it again after a reboot, but couldn't reproduce it. After the crash, when in extended mode, the background is covered by a black box (maybe on purpose to basically turn the rift off?). When I change to Direct Mode, this black box follows to my HDTV, blacking out the background. If I alt-tab to "Desktop" it goes away, but if I bring up the "Rift Display Mode" it returns again. This was also fixed once I rebooted.

Oculus World Demo - Direct Mode:
I didn't have time to test this fully, but it worked well in RC1... I'll update with this later.

genetransfer
Explorer
"DeanOfTheDrivers" wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. Don't forget there are number of reasons for judder. With RC1 we were having judder in extended mode due to not being able to go full screen reliably. With extended mode that'll always be a risk. Direct mode tends to isolate these problems and judder in direct tends to be low frame rates.

Thanks again!

no problem and thanks for that. I'll be sticking with direct mode myself so I'll just do a bit more trimming for the lowest graphics settings.