Hey guys,

The 0.7 Alpha is up!

Runtime:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... ic_RC1.exe
SDK:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... .0_RC1.zip
Docs:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.oculus. ... /pcsdk.pdf

Any questions or comments should be in this thread.

Please be sure to keep this private. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
173 REPLIES 173

jherico
Adventurer
I don't suppose there's any chance for a good word to some contact at nVidia for some beta VR drivers to go along with it?
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

cybereality
Grand Champion
The 353.62 driver, which is public, should work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Is there a fork of UE4 that we should be using? Or is it okay to continue using the latest public as well?

EDIT: Nice, I see the logo has made it into the tray icon 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
It seems you should be fine to use the public version of UE 4.8.

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Works beautifully Cyber! Thanks!

saviornt
Protege
I had a read through of the document, and it looks really nice! I would have organized it a bit differently, and made it into 2 parts though; an SDK version and a runtime version. The SDK version would have the API/Code changes in detail, while the runtime version would just have a one-liner, "Updated and optimized API" or something like that.

I'll attempt to work around having windows 10, try to install / run in compatibility mode to see how everything is working. On that note, with building from scratch the UE4 engine, how does the SDK do with VS2015? Just curious on that end.

edit:

In regards to Win10, when you release to the public, make sure to add in a notice informing people that the runtime does not support Windows 10, and that it may cause the OS to stall during bootup. If they want to attempt to install and play around, to make sure they have a restore point / repair disc on hand.

- I attempted to switch all of the applications to run as windows 8 compatibility mode, nada.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

drash
Heroic Explorer
Observations so far:

1) I installed 0.7 Alpha Runtime on top of the 0.6.0.1 Beta Runtime, which proceeded normally and did NOT require a reboot afterwards! Very cool. New icon in tray, no more Rift Display Mode menu item, etc.

2) Firing up the demo scene on my DK2. First thing I noticed is that the HSW screen is now onscreen for a whopping 13 seconds instead of the usual 6 seconds. Tried demo scene again just to confirm. Then I fired up one of my projects built using the 0.6.0.2 Unity Legacy Integration + Unity 4.6.3p3. HSW is still 6 seconds here. Is there a reason for the 13 second HSW in the demo scene, and does this mean there is a plan to increase the time it will be displayed in Unity at some point? Should we not worry about the HSW at all if it's going to be shown in Oculus Home a la Gear VR?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

jherico
Adventurer
"cybereality" wrote:
The 353.62 driver, which is public, should work.

I was actually asking about drivers that would be capable of using the new Driver Direct mode. I don't believe the extensions are enabled in 353.62.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

cybereality
Grand Champion
@saviornt: The Windows 10 issues are only a problem if you have the runtime installed previously (like on Win 7 or 😎 and then do the upgrade to Windows 10. If you install Win 10 fresh, and then the runtime, it will just not install the display driver (which is what causes the crashes). You could, alternatively, uninstall the Oculus runtime completely before doing the Win 10 update. It's still not technically supported, but this will avoid the situation where the OS fails to boot.

@drash: That's a good question about the HSW. I am not sure the reasoning behind the change, but I can ask.

@jherico: Yes, that is what I was referring to. Though I'm not 100% sure how to test which path it's taking.