cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stopped Working After Pairing Touch Controllers

morieris
Explorer
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to view this thread. Before I begin, here are my system specifications:

MSI G65 Vortex Small Form-Factor PC
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: 2x GTX 980s in SLI (MXM format cards)
RAM: 32gb

I started off by updating my GPU drivers through GeForce Experience. Afterwards, I downloaded the runtime and went through the setup process. The first issue I ran into was setup telling me I needed to update my graphics drivers… turns out GeForce Experience thought my drivers from January were the most up-to- date for my machine, which was odd. I downloaded the latest drivers directly from Nvidia’s website, and the setup let me continue. I skipped past the remote and Xbox controller setup because I didn’t have either on-hand. When I got to the store page, I put on the headset only to have it freeze on the hourglass icon and glitch intermittently. Checking the devices tab under settings showed me that both the headset and the sensor were connected properly. I was eventually able to get it to work after disabling SLI in Nvidia Control Panel.
My current predicament came after plugging in my second sensor and pairing both of my touch controllers. The setup process went without any problems, and all of my peripherals are being reported as connected. However, the light in my headset now won’t change from amber/yellow to white, and putting the headset on does nothing. No hourglass, no glitching, no video or audio what so ever. Even after unplugging my second sensor and forgetting both of the controllers, the headset still refuses to turn on. The amber/yellow light goes out when I cover the sensor, but it never turns white or displays any video no matter what I do. Launching Oculus DreamDeck opens the mirror window, but the game never starts. My Vive & SteamVR that I also use for development has never had any such issues, so I’m confident it’s not an issue with my computer’s hardware.
I’m really at quite a loss for what to do next. Any help or info would be much appreciated, thank you.

TL:DR: Headset didn’t work at first until I disabled SLI. Now after adding the second sensor and touch controllers, the headset is stuck on the yellow/amber light even after unplugging the second sensor and forgetting both controllers.
1 REPLY 1

MikeF
Trustee
since i've paired my controllers i've had an occasional issue where tracking starts to degrade after some time and eventually i get stuck with the amber light. Restarting the OVR server or even a full system reboot doesnt restore functionality. The only thing that gets things back up and running is to swap usb ports for the HMD. I cant say for sure if thats your issue but maybe its worth a shot.

Do you have any warnings in the devices sub menu?

Also, is your vive and rift plugged into the same GPU? I dont have much experience with SLI setups but i think that might be a possible culprit if you've got two hmd's on separate cards (even with SLI disabled)